Player Stupidity

wiscotitansfan

Is there less emphasis on education in school or are players just being subjugated to more criticism and exploits via social media and society's need for instantaneous speculation/interviews?

Jack is a fucking moron. Same goes for Tunsil. Nkemdiche was one of the dumbest people I have ever heard talk in years. Treadwell didn't seem intelligent at all.

Are the NFL studs (1st round talent) actually less intelligent or are we just hearing more NFL players speak?

3 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Is there less emphasis on education in school or are players just being subjugated to more criticism and exploits via social media and society's need for instantaneous speculation/interviews?

Jack is a fucking moron. Same goes for Tunsil. Nkemdiche was one of the dumbest people I have ever heard talk in years. Treadwell didn't seem intelligent at all.

Are the NFL studs (1st round talent) actually less intelligent or are we just hearing more NFL players speak?

What did Jack do?

2 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

What did Jack do?

Say himself he will need surgery down the line most likely and used the term "microfracture"... His agent probably wanted to fucking punch him in the face

"(The degenerative problems are) there, but it's nothing extreme," Jack said, per the New York Post. "Down the line, possibly I could have microfracture surgery -- potentially. Who knows what will happen? Nobody knows how long anybody is going to play in this league. To play three years in this league would be above average."

4 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

I think he's just saying how they sound in interviews, which isn't really a good indicator for intelligence. It just means they aren't great at interviews. 

Disagree. I am using extremes by pointing out certain people but my friend made a joke that the Cardinals traded Nkemdiche away the second he started giving his post draft interview. He was making up words left and right trying to sound like he actually went to a class in high school

That being said, obviously it gets overblown the more we hear them talk. But I don't think it is a stretch to say that NFL players would collectively have a terrible IQ. I've heard plenty of stories about how many players are actually illiterate.

5 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Say himself he will need surgery down the line most likely and used the term "microfracture"... His agent probably wanted to fucking punch him in the face

"(The degenerative problems are) there, but it's nothing extreme," Jack said, per the New York Post. "Down the line, possibly I could have microfracture surgery -- potentially. Who knows what will happen? Nobody knows how long anybody is going to play in this league. To play three years in this league would be above average."

He was being honest. I don't think he said anything teams didn't already know.

Just now, BeedoeLaw said:

He was being honest. I don't think he said anything teams didn't already know.

Now is not the time to be honest. I would chalk that up under the extreme scrutiny and messing up. But 10 years ago, would this mistake have happened? That's more what I was getting it.

I have no idea how intelligent these players are. Lots of college students try to use big words to make themselves seem smarter than they are. But a lack of extensive vocabulary doesn't in itself mean you aren't intelligent. 

Still, the tendency to put elite athletes into easier classes has been happening forever, and it almost certainly affects the quality of education that many of these players get. We get to see them talk more now, thanks to the media and the desire for such interviews. But I don't think the level of intelligence/education has changed that much for these players. 

You are right that 10 yrs ago, the agents probably would have answered such questions. Athletes can no longer avoid such interviews. Of course, mistakes have always been made. Jack might have thought his honesty would be refreshing. 

No idea how much it's affected his draft, since teams already checked out his knee. 

Edited by Alcibiades

1 minute ago, Alcibiades said:

I have no idea how intelligent these players are. Lots of college students try to use big words to make themselves seem smarter than they are. But a lack of extensive vocabulary doesn't in itself mean you aren't intelligent. 

Still, the tendency to put elite athletes into easier classes has been happening forever, and it almost certainly affects the quality of education that many of these players get. We get to see them talk more now, thanks to the media and the desire for such interviews. But I don't think the level of intelligence/education has changed that much for these players. 

This was my train of thought too. I was just curious what others thought since the past 24 hours was more excruciating than I remember, even the past few years.

It's not the players.  It's the adults that use these players for their own personal gain.  These players start out in high school playing unqualified academically.  Who does that hurt?  That hurts the kid who is not quite as talented, but studies and takes school seriously.  He gets the hard worker, just not good enough award.  Then the universities rake in millions of dollars off these players.  People despise pimps--but what is the real difference here.  Player goes to a major university and after two years can't speak intelligently.  The school did nothing for him, but make money off him.

I graduate from Vanderbilt.  I go out and cannot speak English.  What does that say about Vanderbilt?  I paid $240,000 for an education and I am too stupid to speech the native language.  That's what all these run down the athlete's people say, he's getting a free education.  What education?  I say Vanderbilt ripped them off.  The other argument is "they should take advantage of what they are given."  More bs.  They never were college material.  The kid who was a real student athlete got turned down.

These players should be required to pass a standard test before college.  You know.  The one I had to pass.  The ACT or SAT.  There are plenty of kids who want to play college football who can pass it.  They will also sound very intelligent when they give their interviews.  But you won't even give them a chance.

IDEA::Every University should give 10 scholarships per stud football money making machine player to worthy students from his neighborhood.  I'll bring you ten.  Then I will let you listen to them talk after they graduate.

Edited by Number9

There are no geniuses in football.  Nor do we need them.  These guys are paid to sloberknock each other until their brains are permanently damaged.  Do you think a highly intelligent person would chose that as a career?  In fact, were the jocks in school really the brightest?  

2 minutes ago, Righteous said:

There are no geniuses in football.  Nor do we need them.  These guys are paid to sloberknock each other until their brains are permanently damaged.  Do you think a highly intelligent person would chose that as a career?  In fact, were the jocks in school really the brightest?  

Absolutely not but I never follow(ed) college ball. Just a counterpoint (which I don't truly believe), There is just too much money to be made where I don't know if academics have taken an even bigger slide just to make sure that 300 lb chiseled gorilla can be getting them a piece of the pie.

48 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

LOL.  I thought you were talking about "Jack" Conklin on first read.