Bye Bye - Michael Griffin

Kirkster

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People will bash me for saying this, but I like Griff. He wasn't always GREAT, but he was good whenever he had a solid SS with him (Hope, Pollard). I have nothing bad to say about him.

Griffin has been a good pro for the Titans, but he became tentative and lost some of his athleticism. He became a huge liability. 

Somewhere in Nashville, on his way out of town, Griffin bites on one final play action fake from 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I always had a theory re Michael Griffin. 

In 2011 the new CBA changed the way teams practised, notably the amount of full contact practices were reduced to a minimum (they get 14 total for the regular season). This affected some guys more than others. Griffin came into the league a great form tackler. He has been horseshit at tackling ever since they brought in the new CBA.

Some guys need practice. 

As an aside, I also think the CBA rules hurt some coaches like Fisher. Fisher's teams practised more physically than most and his teams lost an edge. 

1 hour ago, ctm said:

It's odd to me that he was released now with no replacement on the roster.  There was no real advantage to the titan to do it today rather than later.

Probably to give him a chance to get picked up in FA.  I would say the odds they address Safety in FA is now close to 100%.

The odds they get very aggressive in FA just went up substantially.  They wouldn't be creating holes this early unless they felt confident they were going to be able to go out and get upgrades.  I hope AAS told Robinson and company  "we're changing the way things are being done around here.  Spare no expense.  Go get the guys we need."

Edited by Justafan

1 hour ago, begooode said:

I read an article some time ago that talked specifically about shoulder injuries to NFL safeties and the direct impacts it has on their careers.  After their field smarts, the shoulders are their main moneymakers.  Once a safety has to endure multiple surgeries (always rushing their rehab to protect their jobs) it's usually a race against time and compromised effectiveness -- they certainly tackle differently afterwards. 

I can't help but wonder if Griff's career arc would have been different had he been healthier early on.  The guy was a form tackling machine as a rook and his first year he was worthy of a 1st round pick.

I was just about to post something similar. Griffin looked well on his way to being a star, or at least a consistent pro bowler, after his first 2 years. He had a very nice rookie year & was a borderline pro bowler in '08. But in '09 he had a bunch of injuries, he really took a beating, and he was just never the same player again. He had some good years, '11 & '13 come to mind, but after that '09 season he never again looked like the special player he should've been.

3 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Probably to give him a chance to get picked up in FA.  I would say the odds they address Safety in FA is now close to 100%.

Agreed. If we just held onto him and delayed cutting him people would be calling the org classless again for holding a guy who was inevitably getting cut. Now he gets an early start to find another team. Several other teams cut guys yesterday probably for similar reasons. Cutting Griff too early without a replacement doesn't bother me. He was going to get cut regardless.

As far as FA goes, I have the same hunch. I think they try to address S in FA. They tried to last year. I don't think cutting Griffin has much to do at all with Ramsey. Mularkey at his PC said secondary was one of our two biggest needs next to OL. I don't think you leave it all to the draft. I think they try to address secondary in FA. More likely a FS than a CB.

9 minutes ago, CanadianTitansFan said:

I always had a theory re Michael Griffin. 

In 2011 the new CBA changed the way teams practised, notably the amount of full contact practices were reduced to a minimum (they get 14 total for the regular season). This affected some guys more than others. Griffin came into the league a great form tackler. He has been horseshit at tackling ever since they brought in the new CBA.

Some guys need practice. 

As an aside, I also think the CBA rules hurt some coaches like Fisher. Fisher's teams practised more physically than most and his teams lost an edge. 

I think with Griffin it was more of a culmination of injuries but the tackling in general does seem to be sloppier since the CBA. 

I think you may be on to something with Fisher though. I'll never forget in '02 when we were 1-4 & he said they lost their edge & weren't playing as tough. He started working them very hard in pads & they went out & just physically destroyed the Jags. They bludgeoned them. They ran for like 200 yards & injured 4-5 Jags, they crushed Brunell & put him out for a few weeks. They only lost one more after that.

21 minutes ago, Justafan said:

The odds they get very aggressive in FA just went up substantially.  They wouldn't be creating holes this early unless they felt confident they were going to be able to go out and get upgrades.  I hope AAS told Robinson and company  "we're changing the way things are being done around here.  Spare no expense.  Go get the guys we need."

If Berry somehow shook loose he would be my #1 FA wish. I doubt he hits the market though.