Carolina had their chances last night

oldschool

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The popular narrative last night is that the Broncos Defense completely dominated and overwhelmed the Panthers and while thats true to a certain extent, the Panthers had plenty of chances. They had 4

On the strip sack TD, the underneath man is open Underneath is open again, Newton over throws into double coverage Three receivers, three defenders in coverage, everyone else crash

I was surprised Ginn didn't accelerate past the safety on his long pass. Maybe I'm wrong here, but when I rewatched it, the safety didn't have as great of an angle as I initially thought he did until

Denver took Carolina out of their comfort zone.  They like to jump on teams and get off to fast starts.  Things for them start to really open up when they get the quick lead.  They have been dropping passes all season.  I thought they would take away the run, but it was Olsen who they made sure wasn't there for the clutch catch.  The NC defense held as usual.

Cam held on to the ball way too long on some of those sacks. Peyton should buy very guy on that defense a new car. They had 5-6 players in the backfield nearly every play. Cam had NO time to make his reads and the secondary played an awesome game. Wade Phillips deserved the game ball.

19 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Cam held on to the ball way too long on some of those sacks. Peyton should buy very guy on that defense a new car. They had 5-6 players in the backfield nearly every play. Cam had NO time to make his reads and the secondary played an awesome game. Wade Phillips deserved the game ball.

Wade has been doing it all year.  The Denver D is awesome.  They were given the responsibility to keep games within easy reach.  The year Peyton was setting records, the D was giving up record scores.  Elway flipped the script and gave the defense led by Phillips the responsibility to lead the team.  That's how they won with Os.  They could have won yesterday with Os.

If Carolina hadn't give up a 10 point lead early, things would have been different. Had Manning been playing from behind and been forced to make plays, he would have probably handed the game to Carolina. 

But because of the Carolina turnovers, drops, overthrows, and special teams mistakes Manning just had to manage the game. That he can still do.

45 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Denver took Carolina out of their comfort zone.  They like to jump on teams and get off to fast starts.  Things for them start to really open up when they get the quick lead.  They have been dropping passes all season.  I thought they would take away the run, but it was Olsen who they made sure wasn't there for the clutch catch.  The NC defense held as usual.

Absolutely. Going down 10 early was huge for them as they aren't used to playing from behind. 

17 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

The astonishing thing is the game was a real game until they decided to punt on 4th and 24. That was them forfeiting, up until then it was easily conceivable that the game could have gone either way if Carolina just had shown and semblance of life.

How about Newton throwing the ball away on 3rd and 24? What a clown. 

Just now, oldschool said:

How about Newton throwing the ball away on 3rd and 24? What a clown. 

I was ecstatic that Cam lost but seriously, how the hell do you just not heave it up. I also was irate at punting and if I were Cam I would have called a timeout and told Rivera to fuck off.

How much of this could be that his receivers couldn't get open? We can't see that but that Broncos secondary is no joke either. 

Also getting Cam rattled early helped. I feel like once you knock him off his rhythm he starts throwing errant passes. 

Edited by big2033

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

How much of this could be that his receivers couldn't get open? We can't see that but that Broncos secondary is no joke either. 

Also getting Cam rattled early helped. I feel like once you knock him off his rhythm he starts throwing errant passes. 

This is the convenient excuse everyone is using. He had Wrs running free multiple times throughout the game, especially in the 1st half that he flat out missed. 

Just now, oldschool said:

This is the convenient excuse everyone is using. He had Wrs running free multiple times throughout the game, especially in the 1st half that he flat out missed. 

I'm not trying to make excuses just adding to the conversation. Again, I think once you rattle Cam his accuracy regresses as well.

I was surprised Ginn didn't accelerate past the safety on his long pass. Maybe I'm wrong here, but when I rewatched it, the safety didn't have as great of an angle as I initially thought he did until Ginn started coasting towards the boundary. He might've been caught anyway, but for someone who's literally only in the league because of his speed and nothing else, I was kinda shocked that he didn't even seem to give it a go.

1 minute ago, Rab said:

I was surprised Ginn didn't accelerate past the safety on his long pass. Maybe I'm wrong here, but when I rewatched it, the safety didn't have as great of an angle as I initially thought he did until Ginn started coasting towards the boundary. He might've been caught anyway, but for someone who's literally only in the league because of his speed and nothing else, I was kinda shocked that he didn't even seem to give it a go.

When he caught the ball at full speed I assumed he was going to score. The effort was piss poor.