Thoughts on Moderation & Bans on TR

Jonboy

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Fuck em. The IP solution doesn't work either as a lot of users are mobile. We (you and I especially) have to stop feeding these crazy bastards, which will quell them to sideshows who we can laugh with. 

I very rarely respond to any of them anymore.  But they are making it a lot harder to read this site.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was responding in another thread to a comment from @IsntLifeFunny, but it ended up being too long and veered the thread off topic. So I'm posting it here... I haven't said much on this subject,

(Puts on his Mikeh75 disguise)   I see both sides of it.   Trolls, in essence, thrive on getting reactions out of people.  In that regard, they've certainly succeeded.  This board has

Also, congrats to Jonboy for being the newest member of the MIKE75 Hall of Fame. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Alcibiades said:

Yeah, I agree with T-Rac. If you don't want to ban people, that's fine, but let's not pretend it can't work, especially in a thread that explains how it DOES work for NeoGaf. It just takes a lot of effort on the part of the mods. I get it.

But would you want a site that heavily moderated here? I'm not sure I would.

@Jonboy

I would argue this board is already moderated. It's just that it's currently being moderated by two trolls. They're the ones directing all discussion.

I also don't buy that this is heavily impacted by the team sucking. There's still lots to discuss and interesting threads get started here all the time. It's just that by page 2 they're about Mettenberger.

Just because there never has been a ban isn't a very good reason to not ban someone in my opinion.

I understand the reasoning behind the "everyone has a voice" mentality. But personally I think it should end when the same people are having a negative impact on the actual product. The three biggest culprits are BK, Nines and ManningEnvy (and cheeser in chat) I think. 520 can be a moron at times but he's a far cry from an obvious troll like the other guys.

I realize I only have a few posts though I've been around here for a decade so my opinion doesn't count for anything. I think people should be banned but not on a whim, it's something that should be discussed among the mods/admin with potential input from valued members. I've moderated several boards both with easy to deal with and with trolls. Eliminating the trolls made for a much better experience from everyone that I've ever dealt with. One of the jobs Johnboy talked about was the mods do remove spam, well Nines is consistently spamming the main page with troll posts, these do nothing but create flame wars and drive people crazy. Even moving them to a spam/troll forum would do wonders for the main page (sort of like how no one reads the draft forum... ;)).

Just now, T-RAC said:

@Jonboy

I would argue this board is already moderated. It's just that it's currently being moderated by two trolls. They're the ones directing all discussion.

I also don't buy that this is heavily impacted by the team sucking. There's still lots to discuss and interesting threads get started here all the time. It's just that by page 2 they're about Mettenberger.

OMG why are you trying to ruin something that is so good!? So what there are a couple of jerks, get over it! There is no other board I know of that allows this level of freedom to express opinions, we should cherish it.

6 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

Yeah, I agree with T-Rac. If you don't want to ban people, that's fine, but let's not pretend it can't work, especially in a thread that explains how it DOES work for NeoGaf. It just takes a lot of effort on the part of the mods. I get it.

Thinking about it, jonboy lays out exactly why they don't do this. It isn't about work. GoT is for you. 

Seriously all you guys favouring bans just head on over to goTitans and have a quick gander at that site. It's an utter borefest. UTTER BOREFEST. That's what you're arguing for! I'd rather watch an old lady replace her catheter than have to use a site like that. 

1 minute ago, THE_TITAN said:

OMG why are you trying to ruin something that is so good!? So what there are a couple of jerks, get over it! There is no other board I know of that allows this level of freedom to express opinions, we should cherish it.

If you don't know the difference between expressing an opinion and what BK does than you're an idiot.

Why not just allow spam?

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Thinking about it, jonboy lays out exactly why they don't do this. It isn't about work. GoT is for you. 

This will now be the second time you didn't read everything a person wrote and think about it BEFORE posting.

Just now, T-RAC said:

If you don't know the difference between expressing an opinion and what BK does than you're an idiot.

Why not just allow spam?

BK might genuinely be stupid or retarded. He shouldn't be precluded from expressing a view just cause he does it in a douchey way or others disagree with it. And if he is trolling then let him. I occasionally find it fun. No one is forcing a response. No one is forcing you to pay attention to his posts. Just ignore him.

The only thing I would maybe support is improving the ignore function. But beyond that, please no controls. FREEDOM.

WE WANT FREEEDOM!

The solution is fairly simple.  Keep the moderation policy as it has been except just ban the accounts of the obvious trolls.

Notice I said obvious trolls, not all trolls.  I'm talking about the accounts where there are hundreds or thousands of troll posts and it's clearly obvious the sole reason the person is here is to troll the board and interfere with the legitimate discussions taking place.

If BK wants to start a new account after he's banned, so be it.  If it becomes obvious the new account is another troll, ban that one too.

This would literally take only a very small effort from the mods.