Annual Video Game Thread

wiscotitansfan

Holy cow is this an AMAZING few week span of games! Assassin's creed plays well but now that the real games have come out Q4 I don't see myself going back to it too much besides finish the story.

My roommate got Fallout 4 and I got Tomb Raider, I think besides Witcher 3 one of those have to win GOTY. Pair those games with Halo and Call of Duty (I'm not an online shooter fan but they still are fun if you can get 3 or more buddies online at the same time). Star Wars should be interesting too! I feel terrible for any game that isn't a true blockbuster AAA title these two or three months.

Who is playing what and how are they liking it?

PS - My gamertag is SmurfLAX28 if people want to play some games (even madden or NHL).

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

Holy cow is this an AMAZING few week span of games! Assassin's creed plays well but now that the real games have come out Q4 I don't see myself going back to it too much besides finish the story.

My roommate got Fallout 4 and I got Tomb Raider, I think besides Witcher 3 one of those have to win GOTY. Pair those games with Halo and Call of Duty (I'm not an online shooter fan but they still are fun if you can get 3 or more buddies online at the same time). Star Wars should be interesting too! I feel terrible for any game that isn't a true blockbuster AAA title these two or three months.

Who is playing what and how are they liking it?

PS - My gamertag is SmurfLAX28 if people want to play some games (even madden or NHL).

I'm looking hard at Battlefront. May also go Call of Duty. Have never played a Fallout game, but I want to get into. May get the Nathan Drake collection or the Witcher. Really have a hard decision, as I have been too busy to play much this Fall but will have more time in Winter. 

One thing I'm really psyched for is the DLC for Bloodborne. I'm platinumed that bitch and we get some special shit for that. So there ya go. 

Also DARK SOULS III. Can't wait for the pain. 

I haven't really bought a "new" game in awhile.  I've been in a retro kick the last few months and have tracked down some pretty nice gems for the SNES though:

Earthbound, FF3, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Castlevania IV, and Chrono Trigger all complete in box.  Also picked up a Gameboy Advance SP (AGS 101 model) in damn near mint condition and a nice little haul of games for a ridiculously low price.

As for what I've been playing lately - Shovel Knight, Bravely Default, and Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS.  All amazing games, and since Shovel Knight is on every platform, everyone should play it.  Easily worth the 15 bucks if any part of you likes old-school platformers. 

But Bink, you should definitely get Witcher 3 if you haven't.  I haven't finished it, given it's a massive time sink and having a toddler doesn't give me much time to sit in front of the TV these days (hence why the 3DS gets a lot of love), but it's a great game on all fronts.  If I was 5 or 10 years younger, I'd probably have over 100 hours in it and still wouldn't be near completing it.  

Fallout 4 is getting good press, but I've just never gotten into those games personally.  Might watch some playthroughs on Youtube though if I get the time.  

I've joked around for a while with my friends why I don't have a girlfriend is because I would rather spend more time playing video games than laying low with someone. I still have my drinking and late night friends but I have actually told the girls  that most of my consistent evening free time during football season is Football/Hockey/Video Games to the point where it is wayyy too much of a commitment to be in a relationship.

Not related to any of these great games just a fun anecdote in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mercalius said:

I haven't really bought a "new" game in awhile.  I've been in a retro kick the last few months and have tracked down some pretty nice gems for the SNES though:

Earthbound, FF3, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Castlevania IV, and Chrono Trigger all complete in box.  Also picked up a Gameboy Advance SP (AGS 101 model) in damn near mint condition and a nice little haul of games for a ridiculously low price.

This is me.  I do it for the nostalgia as I don't have to spend precious leisure time at home learning "how" to play the games and also don't feel bad about not completing games I've completed already.  Gotta get my 2 yo up to speed so we can do some coop.

I'm a few hours into Fallout 4. Much harder than 3 and New Vegas so far. A lot of fun though. 

The Witcher is great, but I wasn't able to finish it before Fallout. The game is almost too long. 

I'll probably pick up Far Cry Primal when it gets a discount. No Man's Sky is on my radar. Still looking forward to the next Zelda game on the Wii U. 

15 hours ago, abenjami said:

If for some reason I ever desire for a bunch of posters to put me on ignore, I will just return to this thread and post some videos of smoking hot naked women.

giphy.gif

I don't do much gaming anymore, but I've been waiting with bated breath for years for Fallout 4. I loved FO3 and New Vegas, and can't wait to start cleaning up the streets of Boston. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are the only 2 games I'll still buy, though I was pretty disappointed with Skyrim.

I'm downloading Fallout 4 right now, only 1 day and 7 hours to go. I bought a physical copy so I wouldn't have to DL it over my slow connection. But all they give you is 1 disc with like 4 GB and you have to download the other 26 GB from Steam. Flagrant false advertising.

17 minutes ago, klaatu- said:

I don't do much gaming anymore, but I've been waiting with bated breath for years for Fallout 4. I loved FO3 and New Vegas, and can't wait to start cleaning up the streets of Boston. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are the only 2 games I'll still buy, though I was pretty disappointed with Skyrim.

I'm downloading Fallout 4 right now, only 1 day and 7 hours to go. I bought a physical copy so I wouldn't have to DL it over my slow connection. But all they give you is 1 disc with like 4 GB and you have to download the other 26 GB from Steam. Flagrant false advertising.

I wasn't as high on Skyrim either. It was still a good game, but it just felt like it was lacking that personality that Oblivion had, IMO. I really dig Bethesda games though. Bugs and all.

I'm not very far into Fallout 4 yet, but it's definitely an improvement over 3 and NV.

Oh, and when you finally start playing, watch out for the Feral Ghouls. They're some bad motherfuckers in this game.

38 minutes ago, Stranger said:

I wasn't as high on Skyrim either. It was still a good game, but it just felt like it was lacking that personality that Oblivion had, IMO. I really dig Bethesda games though. Bugs and all.

I'm not very far into Fallout 4 yet, but it's definitely an improvement over 3 and NV.

Oh, and when you finally start playing, watch out for the Feral Ghouls. They're some bad motherfuckers in this game.

Thanks for the advice, smoothskin. They can't be as fearsome as deathclaws or cazadores, but I'll keep an eye out.

Skyrim didn't have the same depth and mystique that Morrowind and Oblivion had. It was a chore to play, grinding away every day for little reward. I had such high hopes for it, the last game I ever stood in line for to buy at midnight. So much hype.

I'm hoping my PC will run FO4. It's a core 2 quad w/ 560 ti, way below the minimum required. I'm building a Skylake rig in Jan. but hope I can play it on this antique until then.

Archived