CBS Ranks Zach Mettenberger the third best backup in the league

scine09

I disagree that we should treat Mariota as a sure thing. It makes sense to me to hedge your bets. In reality even the best scouts/talent evaluators will be wrong some percentage of the time, even if they are 100% sure that he will be great. There also also unforeseen problems (injury, shark attack) that could end his career.

But even from your viewpoint, it makes sense to allow Mett to maximize his trade value before trading him. That means we probably need to wait a year and let him build hype to maximize the return. That also gives us the benefit of hedging our bet in the meantime.

The way I see it Mett won't see the field this season. If he has a hot preseason and then sits on the bench for all of 2015 his market will cool considerably and we'll be hoping for yet another good preseason that may never happen to move him next year. He's caught the eye of some people, or at least it seems that way, and a hot 2015 preseason would lead to his highest value possible value IMO barring him getting some regular season snaps (which I doubt he gets). Charlie is a capable back up. He did well last season. If our 3rd QB was Alex Tanney then I wouldn't feel as good but I like CBJ as a back up for us.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Clipboard will still be ripping lines of yak off a hooker's ass

Yeah it's amazing. First it was Neil O'Donnell. Then Billy Volek. Then Kerry Collins. Then Matt Hasselbeck. Then Ryan Fitzpatrick. Now Zach Mettenberger. It's like always being the bridesmaid but nev

That's fair. But I also think Mett is better than some starters. I would also take him in a heartbeat over Sanchez.

Posted Images

Watched the whole Mett tape and I think he's more than adequate.  Now I see why so many of you want him as the starter.  Many of his missed throws, I can see Mariota missing them too.  Funny how many fans and teammates think he should be the starter but not the coaches.  If I was Whiz, I would've drafted Williams and go with Mett.  But I still think Mariota is better.

Mariota is very good and i can see why you think he is better. I'm glad you watched the Mett tape. Now you see what we were talking about as far as Mett being good for a rookie. Whats crazy is it was just one of those years where Mett was good but someone came along who could be really good and the team couldn't pass Mariota up which i understand. I criticized Mariota myself but then when i started watching him play,reading all the stuff he has done,how good physically and mentally,etc. i understood why.

If it weren't for Mariota Mett was gonna be the starter. Mariota is such a good prospect that they literally couldn't let him slip to another team. Crazy thing now is this team has two really good QB's. Mett is being voted as one of the best backups on at least two or three major lists. If Mariota ends up being really good this team will have the best QB situation in the league.

• 5 months later...
On 02/07/2015, 08:58:32, scine09 said:

FWIW. Only Mark Sanchez/Sam Bradford and Ryan Fitzpatrick were ahead.  I actually would put Mettenberger #1 but that's me.

Hass was the best backup. Mett would not even be the third best third string.