Titans Report's Official 2015 Titans Only Mock Draft (Round 1)

Jonboy

First Round Pick  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you draft with the #2 overall pick?

• Jameis Winston
    • Marcus Mariota
    • Leonard Williams
    • Vic Beasley
    • Dante Fowler Jr
    • Amari Cooper
    • Kevin White
    • Danny Shelton
    • Trae Waynes
    • TRADE DOWN

Only 6 votes for MM?  Those guys are really loud.  

I'm one of those 6, and I don't think any of us have been loud in proclaiming we should draft Mariota.

I think what you're actually seeing is a lot of threads by the anti-Mariota crowd, and a few people are offering a different point of view to the contrary.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see nothing wrong with wanting to trade down and grab Williams at the time. We had Mettenberger and Williams is playing to his draft slot. Not a single person who wanted Mariota knew he would be th

This actually gives me a good idea. What if we went team by team for the next 32 days (including today) and did a mock draft for the first round?

Last polls, I voted for Williams but I'm on the Mariota train now. It's all a gamble now...you got to see if you can hit gold. Williams is the safe pick...I want the "swing for the fences" pick.   

Well the million dollar question for me is why the fanbase would want to draft another QB a season removed from having another rookie QB show promise and potential.

It's very simple. If Mariota looks like a franchise QB then you draft him and don't look back. Mett has potential and thus far nothing else. Hell, the Colts dumped Manning because they could get a new franchise QB.

The problem is that most of us don't see Mariota as a franchise QB. Or at the very least, we see him as a QB with plenty of potential to be a franchise QB but with so many questions coming from theoffensehe ran in college as to see tons of risk.

It's very simple. If Mariota looks like a franchise QB then you draft him and don't look back. Mett has potential and thus far nothing else. Hell, the Colts dumped Manning because they could get a new franchise QB.

The problem is that most of us don't see Mariota as a franchise QB. Or at the very least, we see him as a QB with plenty of potential to be a franchise QB but with so many questions coming from theoffensehe ran in college as to see tons of risk.

The thing that scares me is they dump Mett and roll with Mariota. So Mariota starts and basically ends up looking like Locker if he played every game without injuries. Meanwhile Mett ends up being traded for a low draft pick to a good team which is just a QB short of being great. So Mett goes and does what he did here his first season and throws for 300 or 400 yards on MNF and with a good line and true number one receiver he ends up throwing 45 TD's and 15 INT's and ends up being in the top ten among QB's. Webster has egg on his face and the fanbase is pissed which leads to four more slow years of a QB that ends up teasing everyone with a good game a couple times a year and falling short the rest. I really do hope they aren't about to draft a QB and start over for the third time in less than a decade. Life as a Titans fan.

Trade down getting a lot more votes than expected. Wish there was a better way to keep track of who posters would want in a trade down or what they'd be wanting out of it (like what @Starkiller did above).

Would probably be way too many responses if I included "trade down and take..." options. Should we just remove the trade down option or let people who prefer a trade down just post in the thread what the desired goal would be with a trade down (several seem to be doing this already anyway)?

leave it and say who you want to to trade with/for.

The thing that scares me is they dump Mett and roll with Mariota. So Mariota starts and basically ends up looking like Locker if he played every game without injuries. Meanwhile Mett ends up being traded for a low draft pick to a good team which is just a QB short of being great. So Mett goes and does what he did here his first season and throws for 300 or 400 yards on MNF and with a good line and true number one receiver he ends up throwing 45 TD's and 15 INT's and ends up being in the top ten among QB's. Webster has egg on his face and the fanbase is pissed which leads to four more slow years of a QB that ends up teasing everyone with a good game a couple times a year and falling short the rest. I really do hope they aren't about to draft a QB and start over for the third time in less than a decade. Life as a Titans fan.

This is such a slippery slope, black & white view, Mike.

You could just as easily replace Mariota & Mett's names in your hypothetical and the same could be true.

Only 6 votes for MM?  Those guys are really loud.  

Williams for me unless it's a strong trade in our favor....I'm not seeing that happen.  

you can only hear so much anti-mariota/pro-mett fellatio going on before auto-troll instinct takes over. 

this thread only proves no one really hates mett.

This whole Mariota debate reminds me of the pursuit of Peyton.

Leonard Williams = group wanted to play it safe and keep Locker due to potential.

Mariota = group wanted to take a risk on an injured QB returning to form. 

Of course, I'm not saying this is absolute but the argument feels the same.

Trade down, but not out of the top 10.  The return needs to be a 2nd this year and an additional 1st next year.  If that isn't available take Leonard Williams and roll with Mett.  I have a feeling that a trade will be available though.

Edit to add - the mindset needs to be leveraging #2 into a substantial overpayment while still getting an elite player.

Edited by bondra316v2

This is such a slippery slope, black & white view, Mike.

You could just as easily replace Mariota & Mett's names in your hypothetical and the same could be true.

Agreed, Sure there is a chance that Mariota could be the guy who plays well while Mett fades into obscurity. However the thing is we haven't seen Mariota do anything yet and him coming from the type of offense he comes from it could take him awhile to get everything together maybe even sitting a year.

As soon as Mett showed what he could do in the preseason the writing was on the wall for Locker. Mett had better pocket presence,accuracy,understanding of defenses and the playbook that it was clear who was going to give the team a better chance.

Meanwhile we watched Mett come out all guns blazing in the preseason and consistently hitting Hunter,Washington,Wright and Walker with all kinds of long great passes and just throwing it all over the field. Then in the regular season his very first game he throws for 300 yards and completed over 65 percent of his passes. Then when he was on MNF and throws the 80 yard bomb to Nate thats when i was convinced. He played well for a rookie on a crappy team with no offensive line or defense.

Imagine how things could be if the team comes back healthy and gets better players on the roster and Mett starts the regular season with a year of experience under his belt he could be even better.

No one not even me is saying the guy is gonna be great or anything but you can definitely tell he has the potential to be a gunslinger and even keep the team in games if they can get the defense fixed. I'm biased by the fact i've already seen Mett show what he can do and i'm afraid they bypass that for the great unknown in Mariota.

Mariota played in a shotgun/spread one read type offense where he throws the ball to mostly wide open receivers. Things will be much harder in the big leagues. You also have to throw in the fact Mett played in a pro style offense against the strongest defenses in college football and the guy was ready when he made the step from college to pros.

Just doesn't make sense to me to bring in someone that doesn't fit our offense to throwing a guy to the curb that not only understood the offense but grasped it quickly and played well under less than ideal circumstances.

Edited by MIKE75

Trading back seems tempting but I'm sticking with Williams. I don't think any defensive prospect taken after him will be a better player nor make the guys we already have on the defense look better. As great as receivers like Cooper and White appear to be, I think last year's draft proved that you can get a VERY high quality guy later in 1st round (if we trade up) or at #33 overall.

I see a guy like Jaelen Strong, Perriman, or DGB being the athletic, big-bodied guy we need to balance out our more finesse receivers.We can then focus on a quality OT or OG in the third and an edge rusher who has already proved to be productive as a 3-4 outside backer like Mauldin in the 4th. Hell we can even decide to take Williams and then trade down #33 over all for multiple picks if we want.

Edited by Mythos27

If they draft Mariota, they probably keep Mett as a backup.

I think we can pull a move for the Browns first round picks, an extra second, and maybe a couple late round picks. Trade ups for franchise QBs are expensive, and hopefully the Browns, or NO, believe he's the guy.

If we can get Waynes/Shelton at 13, then Gregory at 19 we just solidified the front 7 for a good while. In the second we can get Parker or DGB, and with the extra second we should grab the top RT available.

If we can come out of the first 2 rounds with the top DB/NT, a great prospect at OLB, a guy who has number 1 potential at WR, to go with an RT to rebuild the line then we've gone a long way towards building this team into a contender.