Coaches Losing Challenges

OILERMAN

I heard the stat yesterday that BB in NE, McCarthy and I believe Carrol(or another playoff coach) were all 0 for with challenges during the season.

Perhaps in a bubble we judge Whiz too harshly at least in that area. Plays are usually upheld and the act of a desperate coach.

Perhaps, but as important as the challenge is in the NFL it may have become time to put on staff or an assistant that makes this call and is judged on the wins and losses as well as how it is handled after the game and the following week with the NFL offices. This guy could also handle/help with fines to players. Not sure what the league would think but I would think the NFLPA would be happy with the help.

There's losing challenges and then there's losing challenges that either make no sense because the situation isn't important enough or doesn't provide enough gain to challenge (like Munchak challenging the spot on a play that gave the other team a first down regardless) and then there's challenging plays that you have absolutely no chance to win (Whisenhunt did that at least twice this year, once against Pittsburgh on MNF and the other time against Cleveland on the spot of the QB sneak).

Sometimes you can lose a challenge on a play that you could argue should have been overturned and the situation calls for a challenge.

Ken Whisenhunt is not good at challenging. Period.

I don't so much mind Whisenhunt going 1-for-whatever during the season on his replay challenges; the issue I have is that several of his challenges made little or no sense, coming after plays that were clear-cut, or in situations where there was minimal benefit to winning the challenge.

The Bryant catch was the first challenge McCarthy won all year. He was one of the best at it prior to this year. 

As a seasonal average, Fisher issues the least amount of challenges by far and away. 

Best career records among active coaches as of August 14, 2014:

http://misterelevant.com/2014/08/12/the-coaching-challenge-challenge-flag-success-rates/

Coach Yrs Atts A/Y Wins W% Mike Tomlin 7 44 6.3 24 54.5% Rex Ryan 5 44 8.8 22 50.0% Andy Reid 14 89 6.4 44 49.4% Mike McCarthy 8 69 8.6 34 49.3% Tom Coughlin 14 102 7.3 49 48.0% John Harbaugh 6 63 10.5 30 47.6% Pete Carroll 5 40 8.0 19 47.5% Ken Whisenhunt 6 53 8.8 25 47.2% Mike Smith 6 42 7.0 18 42.9% Sean Payton 7 69 9.9 29 42.0% Bill Belichick 14 95 6.8 39 41.1% Marvin Lewis 11 66 6.0 27 40.9% Jim Harbaugh 3 29 9.7 11 37.9% Lovie Smith 9 73 8.1 27 37.0% John Fox 12 110 9.2 40 36.4% Jeff Fisher 14 71 5.1 25 35.2%

Coach throw challenges sometimes not thinking they will win but to slow down the game and give themselves time to analyze or plan something or simply to break momentum of the opposing team. 

Isn't Mariotta the one who should be compared to Newton?

He's way more athletic that Winston and we don't know if he can play from the pocket and handle an NFL offence. Wasn't this the same deal with Newton when he came out? He's also closer to Newton's size isn't he?

I heard the league wide stat for replay reviews yesterday on the radio.  It was something like only 30% of the reviewed calls have been overturned.  I'm pretty sure the numbers included both challenges from coaches and automatic reviews (scoring plays, under 2:00, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

Replays seem to take up considerably more time than a full timeout. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using the replay as a timeout akin to how timeouts are used in the NBA. 

Its a break to regroup and save face from using your timeout outside of "gameplay situations."

They reemphasized the incontrovertible evidence standard and left it in the hands of the on field ref as far as the final determination; one would assume that the ref is going to be reluctant to rule that a member of his crew with whom he has a professional and possibly personal relationship with made a mistake. They need to take it out of the hands of the ref, and allow the replay officials at a central location make the determination; they are guaranteed to be much more objective. Hockey has been doing this for years. 

Archived