Many Teams Too Often Fall For The Hype When Drafting Qb

MIKE75

Drank too much water.. LMAO, I don't even have a problem with Mett smoking weed but by all accounts he does, as well as there being rumours that he and Lewan enjoy some of the white stuff. Mett was also arrested that night for other incidents too, to deny he has off the field concerns and immaturity issues is complete bias and you are being a homer about him. No doubt he's a decent QB, we don't know how good yet, but he obviously has the things you look for, but Winston is better. There is a reason one is going #1 and one lasted till the 6th.

I call bullshit on the diluted sample as well and have also heard the drug rumors. I tend to believe them but just like Winston unless his issues start to affect him on the field I don't care. Care to share what else he was arrested for that night? I've never heard this one before. Please cite a credible source if you decide to.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year there was huge amounts of hype surrounding Johnny Manziel and many of his fans and some in the media was blowing the guy up like he was the second coming. However i knew as well as many othe

Webster gets bashed for taking Oline men in the first and the Cowboys are being praised for dedicating themselves to building an O-line by taking 3 oline men in the first round in the last 4 drafts.

That 2011 draft was all about teams buying the ESPN "Year of the QB" crap. None of the QB in that draft outside of Newton I guess are really worth it.   Really You have Wilson, Luck, and probably Ne

Drank too much water.. LMAO, I don't even have a problem with Mett smoking weed but by all accounts he does, as well as there being rumours that he and Lewan enjoy some of the white stuff. Mett was also arrested that night for other incidents too, to deny he has off the field concerns and immaturity issues is complete bias and you are being a homer about him. No doubt he's a decent QB, we don't know how good yet, but he obviously has the things you look for, but Winston is better. There is a reason one is going #1 and one lasted till the 6th.

Winston is better?  I think in the end Mett will have a better career but i will gladly eat crow if that comes to pass. Don't forget a lot of these QB's are hyped and fail to live up to their billing. For instance it is getting more common to see first round picks bust and more second and third round picks are faring better overall. There is a good chance Grayson,Petty or Hundley could end up having better career than Mariota or Winston. Getting more common to find good QB's after the first. Russell Wilson was a third round pick,Nick Foles was a third rounder. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick were second round picks. First QB taken Bortles was suppose to be best last season and Derek Carr taken in the second round played better as did Teddy Bridgewater.

Edited by MIKE75

I call bullshit on the diluted sample as well and have also heard the drug rumors. I tend to believe them but just like Winston unless his issues start to affect him on the field I don't care. Care to share what else he was arrested for that night? I've never heard this one before. Please cite a credible source if you decide to.

Underage drinking among other charges. Not that big of a concern, but still an arrest.

Winston is better?  I think in the end Mett will have a better career but i will gladly eat crow if that comes to pass. Don't forget a lot of these QB's are hyped and fail to live up to their billing. For instance it is getting more common to see first round picks bust and more second and third round picks are faring better overall. There is a good chance Grayson,Petty or Hundley could end up having better career than Mariota or Winston.

Coming out of college, Winston was and is a much better prospect than Mett. That's not a knock on Mett by any means, but Winston is a very good prospect.

When you say "among other charges" it makes me want to press you for more details. 

"The 18-year-old Mettenberger was arrested March 7 in Lowndes County and charged with underage consumption and possession of alcohol, possessing fake identification and disorderly conduct-obstruction. The school never made him available to comment on the charges." - ESPN

This arrest had nothing to do with the sexual battery charges

Last year at this time Jerry Jones was locked in on QB Johnny Manziel. Jones's son and the other brass in Dallas had to literally talk sense into him and make him see the fact that Manziel wasn't a sure thing plus they still had Tony Romo. Jerry Jones i'm sure is very thankful for the advice and glad he listened for once and cooler heads prevailed. Meanwhile Cleveland did a million dollar study on the QB class last year and the advice was take Teddy Bridgewater. Instead they took Manziel because the owner took the advice of a homeless man. Owner Haslam isn't off to a good start in Cleveland whatsoever. Besides that they took the best QB they've had in a decade Brian Hoyer and decided to let him walk and brought in Josh McCown,lol. Which leads me to Tennessee. Why draft a QB that doesn't fit your system especially when you already have a strong armed QB who played in a pro style offense and can make all the throws????

This is where I believe bias starts to seep into reality. Just because a guy has a strong arm and can make throws doesn't mean he's a perfect fit. There are a ton of guys who have a strong arm and can make "all the throws." Again, as I've said in previous threads, we need to look closer. I feel like in part we've been swept away by the non scrambling QB.

Saying Mett can make all the throws seems misleading.

Mett definitely has accuracy issues. There's a reason his completion percentage was so low on passes longer than 10 yards and it's not all just the WRs fault.

Also, does the strong arm really matter that much when by far most of the passes were 20 yards or less? 157 / 177 attempts were under 20 yards... about 89%.

IIRC, Rivers isn't know for his deep ball or vertical passing (neither was Warner in AZ, right?) so why do we assume the big arm is the most important, not the ability to hit the shorter routes?

Who are you "swept away" with. The non scrambling QB we have on our roster that doesn't cost us a #2 pick in the draft or a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL that will cost us a stud defensive player.

These comments "There are a ton of guys who have a strong arm and can make "all the throws"" are so meaningless and cliché. It applies to Winston as well doesn't it? As in he could be a colossal bust like any number of strong armed guys have been. And people argued until they were blue in the face defending every last one of those duds over the years. Tim flipping Couch could be in this draft and people would be wetting their pants over how much better he is than Mett.

It does. So what makes Winston and better than Mett? Why is he number overall and Mett wasn't? WHY is he considered better. It's not just Winston's strong arm and his ability to make all the throws ... so it must be something else that makes Winston go number 1 despite his track record and Mett go in the sixth round. And injuries aren't it either. Injuries would drop a game-changing QB to the second round at worst.

That's all I'm asking. Look at the flaws, they exist despite him looking the part. Whitehurst can make "all the throws" too. What separates Mett from Whitehurst?

We've been so burned by all-talent and no fundamentals players that we're glued to a kid who has fundamentals but detailed questions need to be asked about him too. And blanket statements like "it fits, he can make the throws!" irk me.

Edited by big2033

The question you should be asking is why some of these QBs get rated so high and such to high heaven. I can't answer that. Why do some QBs rated lower, like Mett, out produce the higher rated ones? I can't answer that either. But with that said, I do not think there is any close to a 5 round difference between Mett and Winston.

I think there is bias of some people's evaluation of Mett precisely because he's a pocket passer with a strong arm who can make all the throws. He's counter to our horrible, talent-focused QBs of the past. I think we focused on his strengths and chocked his weaknesses up to his team sucked. 

Glennon's a good example of this. He looks the part of a young pocket passer, so people want him on the Titans ... nobody has asked why he was benched in the first place.

Nick Cousins same thing.

It's another way of playing it safe to be honest. And in a league where every rookie can put up numbers it further masks the weaknesses. Cousins was top 15 in fantasy numbers despite his turnovers and not winning a game for the Redskins. I'm sure at the time many here wondered why he got benched for McCoy.

Dig deeper, that's all I'm saying. Maybe Whiz wasn't the only reason why he diagrammed 5 and 7 step drops. And again, the play Mett got hurt on was because of his own missed assignment. And maybe Mett has absolutely everything you need from QB of the future.

And I'm not saying it's you, you've been pretty balanced ... it just some people are over the moon on Mett and I don't see how you could be so definite.

Edited by big2033

The question you should be asking is why some of these QBs get rated so high and such to high heaven. I can't answer that. Why do some QBs rated lower, like Mett, out produce the higher rated ones? I can't answer that either. But with that said, I do not think there is any close to a 5 round difference between Mett and Winston.

Honestly I personally feel it has a lot to do with where a guy played his college ball and how "successful" he was while there. It's the only thing that explains how guys like Tebow. What I mean by successful is winning bowl games or beating highly ranked opponents. It's all a symptom of the fact that many people want to use wins as an individual stat rather than the team stat it is. Just a theory, i'm sure there are holes in it.

Honestly I personally feel it has a lot to do with where a guy played his college ball and how "successful" he was while there. It's the only thing that explains how guys like Tebow. What I mean by successful is winning bowl games or beating highly ranked opponents. It's all a symptom of the fact that many people want to use wins as an individual stat rather than the team stat it is. Just a theory, i'm sure there are holes in it.

I call it the rw theory

It is definitely a crapshoot when it comes to drafting these QB's. I agree the difference is closer than five rounds between Mett and Winston. The first QB taken in 2014 was Blake Bortles in the first round but i'd say Derek Carr drafted in the second is better. Another example is 2013 the top two QB's taken were EJ Manuel and Geno Smith. Both already look like busts. Third round pick Mike Glennon looks better than both. It seems Buffalo and New York are already moving on two years later from EJ and Geno having Matt Cassel and Ryan Fitzpatrick come aboard as starters.

Take for instance 2012 where RGIII and Brandon Weeden were first round picks but the better QB's in that draft were Russell Wilson and Nick Foles in the third round. 2011 is a prime example as this team knows well as Jake Locker,Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder all are first round busts while second round picks Andy Dalton has been to the postseason every year and Colin Kaepernick has played in a couple NFC championships and a Super Bowl.

Hate to say it but it will happen again in the 2015 draft. Mariota and Winston are the top prospects but after it all plays out a later round QB will possibly have a better career. It could be Grayson,Petty,Hundley or Mannion. Thats why the safest bet is to stick with the QB we already have and either pick Leonard Williams or trade down for multiple picks.

Edited by MIKE75