If Mett Is QB Going Into 2015 What Changes Would Make Offense Better?

MIKE75

If Mett is QB going into 2015 what changes would have to be made to make the offense better?

Right now at this point in the season the offense is ranked 30th in points and 31st in yards gained. No team ranked like that is going to win many games. The offense is showing signs of life since Mettenberger replaced the other QB's a couple games back. Mett set a new record for a rookie QB on MNF and the Steelers defense actually complimented Mett after the game. He is definitely looking like the future BUT changes must be made if he is going to have a respectable chance to improve the team offense.

I do think starting with the line Oher has to go. Not sure on Levitre. Would hope when changes are made they don't waste another high draft pick on another offensive lineman. The penalties definitely have to stop for the offense to have any chance on extending drives. The disciplinary aspect either falls on Bostad or Whisenhunt they need to get the line in better shape especially being among the highest paid in the league.

The running game i feel like Sankey could be good but like others have said something is missing. I do think they need to cut Greene he is injured often and making way too much. They need to bring in a really good physical back to replace Greene in either the draft or free agency. Sankey and a stout physical back could be a good one two punch on offense to keep the chains moving. Marshawn Lynch will be leaving Seattle but not sure if he is the type they would be looking for due to his personality issues. Gurley was looking awesome before the torn ACL. I do think they need to lean on the running game more effectively.

At wide receiver i hate to see Nate Washington go after the season but his salary will be too much. Nate makes all the hard catches i've seen it time and time again and him and Mett seem perfect together on the long throws. Of course he could always lower his salary demands a bit and stay but i don't see that happening. We already know Hunter is not living up to expectations. It wouldn't shock me at all to see the team go after Amari Cooper or a receiver in the second round. They could go after a receiver in free agency.

Delanie Walker is the best tight end but it would be great to have another playmaker at that spot. Craig Stevens might be a good blocker but i am curious about Taylor Thompson and if the team thinks he is improving enough.

If Mett really improves it would be beneficial for him to have a decent line and good running game to lean on. Would be awesome if he got a top notch target to throw to. 

The offense should improve in 2015 if the right chances are made.

Any opinions on what would make the offense improve?

Edited by Mikeh75

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mettenberger's presence for an entire season would automatically make every single player on the offense better.   I think it's all about the defense this offseason. Maybe re-sign Roos or find a new

I haven't seen much of Cooper, but he's listed at 6'1 210 and looks like he'd be about a 4.5 type guy.   It doesn't mean he can't be real good, but I just think if you're going to spend a top 5 pick

Article about Ravens and the Air Coryell system and what it needs:  http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-ravens/makes-norv-turners-air-coryell-system-go/

The Air Coryell offense relies on four key things to be successful. 

• A tall receiver who can stretch the field and win in jump ball situations. (Michael Irvin, yes. Torrey Smith, no).
  • Power running game with fullback help as lead blocker and extra pass blocker. (Emmitt Smith and Daryl Johnston, Yes. Ray Rice and Vonta Leach, No. Rice isn’t a power back, and Leach doesn’t see the field nearly enough).
  • Strong offensive line to allow time for mid-range to deep passing options to open up. (Early 90’s Dallas, greatest O-line ever. Present day Ravens, not even close).
  • Pass catching tight end who finds space in the middle opened by the WRs stretching the field. (Jay Novacek, yes. Dennis Pitta, yes).

How Norv Turner offenses did with various combination of the four pieces:

Turner.png

Edited by 9 Nines

Article about Ravens and the Air Coryell system and what it needs:  http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-ravens/makes-norv-turners-air-coryell-system-go/

• A tall receiver who can stretch the field and win in jump ball situations. (Michael Irvin, yes. Torrey Smith, no).
  • Power running game with fullback help as lead blocker and extra pass blocker. (Emmitt Smith and Daryl Johnston, Yes. Ray Rice and Vonta Leach, No. Rice isn’t a power back, and Leach doesn’t see the field nearly enough).
  • Strong offensive line to allow time for mid-range to deep passing options to open up. (Early 90’s Dallas, greatest O-line ever. Present day Ravens, not even close).
  • Pass catching tight end who finds space in the middle opened by the WRs stretching the field. (Jay Novacek, yes. Dennis Pitta, yes).

Turner.png

So basically we need the 90s Cowboys and not the 2011 Ravens

Article about Ravens and the Air Coryell system and what it needs: http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-ravens/makes-norv-turners-air-coryell-system-go/

Turner.png

Not many offenses run pure versions of any particular system anymore, most are just a mix. That said, you can see some distinct differences in some of them, Norv's being one. He really likes 2 TE's & often, more than anyone else in fact, stays with the heavier formations on 3rd downs. He also consistently drops back & throws it downfield more than any team as well, which is why I'm surprised they went with Bridgewater.

I believe Whisenhunt's base offense is Ehrhardt-Perkins which is really popular & effective . Id like to see more PA through. Stats show that Whisenhunt very rarely calls PA which is normally fine but for a rocket armed rookie QB I think it would be a big help. Forget the rookie part actually, he's got a huge arm, PA gets you the best deep looks. Kubiak was a genius at this, relentlessly running the stretch play , faking the handoff, rolling the QB out & getting great downfield looks. Chip is also brilliant, that fake handoff out of the gun seems to get guys wide open deep all the time.

Get rid of Oher and Levitre.

Nate Washington is gone after this year (contract is up)

Whiz will make a run at Larry Fitzgerald (contract is too big in Ariz)

Titans have either got to draft big time play makers on offense or trade for some help.

Thanks for bringing this up BTW..

Step 1 would be to get the RT settled and then determine the future of Levitre.. that's why several of us have proposed resigning Roos to play RT for a 3 year deal or playing Stingily to just see if he's better than Oher..we need to find some competition for Levitre also in FA

Step 2 happens this weekend I'm thinking.. we finally see Andrews instead of Greene.. in the off-season we need to replace both Greene and somehow work McCluster into doing something on the offense ..

Step 3 is to draft developmental TE (6th round) and pick up a FA WR this next off season

Step 4 is to build a real defense with at least 2 OLB's, a big NT, an ILB , and a safety

That's a lot to accomplish in one off-season BTW, but would at least get us to a competitive level IMO

Whats your take on Cooper from Alabama if Gregory is off the board?

I haven't really sat down and watched too many prospects yet. That said, I'm not sure he's a top ten pick based on what I'm hearing from different people whose opinion I usually respect.

But I will not really know until I sit down and watch him. Not an expert in wideouts/DBs by any stretch of the imagination though.

I haven't seen much of Cooper, but he's listed at 6'1 210 and looks like he'd be about a 4.5 type guy.

It doesn't mean he can't be real good, but I just think if you're going to spend a top 5 pick on a WR the guy should be a freak. Calvin Johnson is 6'5 240 and ran 4.3. Julio Jones and Andre Johnson are 6'3 220+ and ran 4.3 at the time. How does Cooper compare to guys like AJ Green, Julio, etc? If he's not on that level, he shouldn't be a top 5 pick imo. I don't think he has the triangle numbers that a lot of the WR who generally go top 5 have.

I do think it's good to look at all the options though. Personally, I'm not sold on Ray or Beasley. 

How about Shane Ray from Missouri? Lots of quickness and pass rush moves

In fact he's the player I'm watching this Saturday pm when Missouri plays tennessee

Edited by Nash