OILERMAN Blog week 3

OILERMAN

It's not that Jake Locker is the only problem the Titans currently have, it's just that none of the other problems matter as long as he plays this bad. The special teams was a complete train wreck yesterday, the penalties were way too frequent and the defense had plenty of breakdowns that resulted in points for the Bengals. Yet all of that is on the back burner until the issue at QB is resolved.

The Titans are facing a road game against the Colts next week that very well could put them in a hole too deep to dig out of at the early quarter mark of the season. The original thought was the team would play Locker this season and decide what do with his contract situation after the season. Most people believed that Locker gave the team the best chance to win right now. Jake Locker's play is currently so bad that is likely no longer the case, either QB likely gives the Titans a better chance to compete.

The Titans have scored 17 points in the last 2 games and converted 4 of 22 3rd downs. This despite solid pass protection, a very good running game and good skill players. At this point it seems Locker's short comings have all multiplied to the point of no return and his confidence appears to be shot. Not only is Locker's accuracy as bad as you will see from an NFL starting QB but he's making bad decisions you wouldn't expect from a rookie. The INT to Robert Geathers in the endzone before the half was inexcusable and he was lucky a Bengal defender(Terrance Newman) dropped a pick six that was equally as bad.

Whisenhunt was previously fired from the Cardinals in part because of the handling of the starting QBs. That more than anything else is saving Locker from getting benched. I'm not ready to say Whisenhunt is screwing up but one more game like the last two and Whisenhunt won't have a choice. Whisenhunt was quick to publicly call out the WRs and defense after the Dallas game and was quick to say the bad snap yesterday wasn't he fault of Locker. It's one thing to not bench your QB prematurely but Whisenhunt is going to have to be careful with his defense of Locker at the expense of other players.

With the team down 19-0 after the half the play calling showed what the coaching staff thought of Jake Locker more than anything the head coach can say after the game. The fact they are afraid to let Locker throw the ball is pretty solid evidence there needs to be another QB behind center. It's also pretty obvious why the old staff tried to rely on a running game that hid Locker early in the season and then allowed Fitzpatrick the freedom to pass the ball from spread formations.

The other major position of concern is CB. Wreh Wilson might have been as bad at CB as Locker was at QB. This is another mark against Ruston Webster since the team could have kept Verner after an all pro season at a reasonable price. The team might not have had other options at QB but they did have another option at CB, a very good option.

* It appears Horton is working Avery Williamson in at ILB with 13 snaps

* Bishop Sankey led the RBs with 29 snaps, 10 carries 61 yards and 1 catch for 9 yards.

* Taylor Lewan got 16 offensive snaps at LT and as a 6th OL in short yardage.

This coming week will likely decide Locker's immediate future with the Titans and possibly his NFL career.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not that Jake Locker is the only problem the Titans currently have, it's just that none of the other problems matter as long as he plays this bad. The special teams was a complete train wreck yes

Rookie QBs typically play bad because they have a bad OL, weaker skill people etc....... The Titans offense is set up nicely for a QB So I can't imagine another QB playing this poorly

The Seahawks started a rookie Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn. Matt Flynn had just been paid handsomely. It was certainly a risky move starting the rookie and they came out smelling like a rose.    S

The Titans have scored 17 points in the last 2 games and converted 4 of 22 3rd downs. This despite solid pass protection, a very good running game and good skill players. At this point it seems Locker's short comings have all multiplied to the point of no return and his confidence appears to be shot. Not only is Locker's accuracy as bad as you will see from an NFL starting QB but he's making bad decisions you wouldn't expect from a rookie. The INT to Robert Geathers in the endzone before the half was inexcusable and he was lucky a Bengal defender(Terrance Newman) dropped a pick six that was equally as bad.

Whisenhunt was previously fired from the Cardinals in part because of the handling of the starting QBs. That more than anything else is saving Locker from getting benched. I'm not ready to say Whisenhunt is screwing up but one more game like the last two and Whisenhunt won't have a choice. Whisenhunt was quick to publicly call out the WRs and defense after the Dallas game and was quick to say the bad snap yesterday wasn't he fault of Locker. It's one thing to not bench your QB prematurely but Whisenhunt is going to have to be careful with his defense of Locker at the expense of other players.

Locker keeps surprising me. I thought he should be off the team, but he is actually worse than I thought he would be, and reading the above, the results are worse than I thought they were (only 4 of the last 22 3rd downs converted - there are no words for that.) 

In hindsight, I thought moving to Whitehurst would be more easy than it probably is.  I figured Whisenhunt would make the move easily if Locker failed (which he clearly has) and would not care about further criticism of switching QBs too fast, but as it is unfolding, I see the point that Whisenhunt will probably want "Clean out the Locker now" yell to become very publicly loud before he does do it.  Also, as bad as Locker has been, the front office had to know the play we are seeing was possible, and I imagine the top 3 (HC/GM/owner) had a plan in place for benching/cutting Locker and all three must sign off on it when it happens. 

Edited by 9 Nines

I'm sure there are already excuses being made within the organization this morning. Namely that Locker has only played 3 real games in Whisenhunt's system and to be honest, its a valid argument. The other issue here is Whitehurst. If Fitzpatrick were still here you could reasonably suggest he could give the team a chance to win. Whitehurst offers nothing close to what Fitz does and Mettenberger may not be ready. The second Mettenberger is inserted into the starting lineup the organization is sending a message this season is over and they are looking toward 2015 and beyond. I would be okay with that but I doubt the 53 guys in the locker room would. Best case scenario for a QB change is still the bye and I think the Titans would have to be around 2-6 for it to happen.

As for Wreh-Wilson. I'm more concerned with his stupid penalties than his ability. Horton is going to isolate his Corners and even good ones will get exposed without a pass rush. Would Verner be better in this defense? I don't believe so but there is no way to prove that. Webster has done a terrible job of building the defense and we are seeing the results play out on the field. The offense has to help them out. 

Lastly, I still love the direction of this team. Whisenhunt is a great offensive mind and the staff he's put in place looks good. They have a lot of work to do and it starts with the QB.

The other issue here is Whitehurst. If Fitzpatrick were still here you could reasonably suggest he could give the team a chance to win. 

I cannot make sense of Whitehurst and Whisenhunt if the team feels that way.  If Whisenhunt did not realize how bad Locker was, and that there was real chance Locker and the team would be in the exact position it is now or did not prepare for a better alternative,  then as much as I liked the hiring, I think Whisenhunt is a bad HC.  

In other words, Whisenhunt has to think Whitehurst can play, or he is not worthy of being a HC if he brought someone he does not think can play to back up a QB he had to know had a serious chance of utterly failing as QB. 

I'm sure there are already excuses being made within the organization this morning. Namely that Locker has only played 3 real games in Whisenhunt's system and to be honest, its a valid argument. The other issue here is Whitehurst. If Fitzpatrick were still here you could reasonably suggest he could give the team a chance to win. Whitehurst offers nothing close to what Fitz does and Mettenberger may not be ready. The second Mettenberger is inserted into the starting lineup the organization is sending a message this season is over and they are looking toward 2015 and beyond. I would be okay with that but I doubt the 53 guys in the locker room would. Best case scenario for a QB change is still the bye and I think the Titans would have to be around 2-6 for it to happen.

As for Wreh-Wilson. I'm more concerned with his stupid penalties than his ability. Horton is going to isolate his Corners and even good ones will get exposed without a pass rush. Would Verner be better in this defense? I don't believe so but there is no way to prove that. Webster has done a terrible job of building the defense and we are seeing the results play out on the field. The offense has to help them out. 

Lastly, I still love the direction of this team. Whisenhunt is a great offensive mind and the staff he's put in place looks good. They have a lot of work to do and it starts with the QB.

lol "reasonably suggest?" How about "say with absolutely no doubt."

I also don't agree with Mettenberger being in means the season is over. He's the best QB on the team as it is. Will he make rookie mistakes? Of course. But he's also not going to sail every pass 3 feet over the receivers heads and that will improve pretty much ever facet of the team.

I believe the team can win right now with Mettenberger. They have the playmakers. They have the oline. They have the running game. They're missing one thing and only one thing.

I'm not convinced another game like this will get Locker benched. It won't be the whole season, I'd imagine, but four games might not be enough to do it.

I think the pitiful play would trump the small sample size

Ineffective play is one thing but this is God awful in every way

A mercy benching if you will

He could have simply wanted a veteran backup familiar with his offense.

That makes no sense in my opinion. If the team truly does not think Whitehurst can play, then as far as Whitehurst being brought to the team, nothing else matters - he should not be on the roster as QB if he can't play.  

Also, on the idea that he is just here to mentor/coach Locker or whoever starts, that means the team is taking up a roster spot, paying a backup QB salary which is factors more than an assistant coach would get, and wasting team cap space for a QB coach - that makes no sense either. 

Edited by 9 Nines

If Locker had any financial sense, he would have/should now come out saying his shoulder or foot is still bothering him and ask to be benched, then use that as an excuse for some sucker team next offseason. If he keeps playing, there will be zero interest in him next offseason - he will have an equally or harder time finding a team than Young did. 

Edited by 9 Nines

That makes no sense in my opinion. If the team truly does not think Whitehurst can play, then as far as Whitehurst being brought to the team, nothing else matters - he should not be on the roster as QB if he can't play.

Also, on the idea that he is just here to mentor/coach Locker or whoever starts, that means the team is taking up a roster spot, paying a backup QB salary which is factors more than an assistant coach would get, and wasting team cap space for a QB coach - that makes no sense either.

I'm not defending it. That's just all I see as an explanation. Hell, you can go back and see I was against it at the time.

I'm not defending it. That's just all I see as an explanation. Hell, you can go back and see I was against it at the time.

Whitehurst looked sharp in the preseason play he did do.  I think he would be as good as any backup in the league, and would be factors better than Locker. 

I think the pitiful play would trump the small sample size

Ineffective play is one thing but this is God awful in every way

I mean I'm guessing as much as anyone else but I don't think so. For one, I actually can imagine a rookie QB playing this bad to start. Maybe even worse. Whitehurst as well. That doesn't mean Locker is playing well but the lack of confidence in alternatives means that you have to let the current starter truly die on the vine before a switch else you might have the backups play poorly and everyone really stats to riot... many of whom liked Locker enough that they likely return to his corner because "at least he can run" and "he has all the talent."

I think that's the true lesson from Arizona. If everyone sucks, that's a QB mess because you "havent develooed anyone" and everyone wants a different guy starting. If only one guy sucks, that's just a bad QB. Maybe another guy is good and everyone wants the backup.

Stay in the second scenario as long as possible unless you truly are confident.