Episode 78 - Metteoric Rise

Jamalisms

The Two Tone Crew is joined by special guest Josh Gunnels of Music City Miracles. Jake Locker and Zach Mettenberger are debated at length before moving on to discuss the rest of the team as the Titans advance towards the third preseason game.

http://www.titansreport.com/podcastplayer.html

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-two-tone-crew/id485247545

RSS:
http://twotonecrew.libsyn.com/rss

Stitcher:

Voicemail:
(615) 900-0282

Mailbag:
[email protected]

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/titansreport

Twitter:
@titansreport

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoa! Cossell praised Mett on Midday 180 as we discussed on the podcast, but offered WAY more on Ross Tucker's podcast. Called it QB controversy sooner than later, poo-poo'd saying Locker did some goo

Great podcast guys. 

I don't see how anyone could have watched that preseason game and then been shocked afterwards that people might talk about a QB controversy

Regarding the one gapping 3-4 discussion, there are some differences between that and the 4-3. The biggest difference is the offense doesn't know who's going to rush on a given play, so it adds an element of complexity. As far as the run game, I think part of the issue is that both of our ILBs are run and chase types that are coverage guys and not run stoppers. 

But the Titans have actually done a decent bit of two gapping (which surprisingly, Jurrell Casey has excelled at according to Cosell). We're a hybrid defense in the sense of going back and forth between one gapping and two gapping, and doing a lot of weird nickel/dime packages. But not so much in the sense of going back and forth between a traditional 4-3 and the 3-4 .

Great podcast guys.

Thanks tgo.

I thought it was good to get a bit of cross-pollination between message boards and Gunnelsj is a good guy who I chat with frequently. His Locker/Mettenberger article was well timed as well.

I don't see how anyone could have watched that preseason game and then been shocked afterwards that people might talk about a QB controversy

You can't be shocked by it. There will be a controversy at some point but right now both have played well. If Jake goes out this week and stinks it up while Mettenberger plays well, you'll start seeing it more. If Mett plays well the rest of the preseason and we start losing games, it will really start brewing.

You can't be shocked by it. There will be a controversy at some point but right now both have played well. If Jake goes out this week and stinks it up while Mettenberger plays well, you'll start seeing it more. If Mett plays well the rest of the preseason and we start losing games, it will really start brewing.

Cosell wasn't impressed with Locker in the last game and neither was I. I wouldn't say he played "well".

I don't believe Locker could have executed the plays Mettenberger did in the last game.

I don't believe Locker could have executed the plays Mettenberger did in the last game.

This is true and that's the rub. Mettenberger has better tools and a better skill set for this offence.

In a vacuum, you give Mettenberger time with the first team and make it an open competition based on what he has shown. But it's real world and hasn't been an open competition, which is something I don't see it changing the last two preseason games.

If Mettenberger keeps it up the net two games and Locker stumbles for any period of time, you'll start to hear the calls for Mett from everyone. One thing that Whisenhunt has shown is that he is not afraid to make a switch when necessary. 

One thing that Whisenhunt has shown is that he is not afraid to make a switch when necessary. 

This could actually help save Locker and hurt Mettenberger. It's not that Whisenhunt has shown he's unafraid to make a switch, he's been downright crazy when it comes to switching his QBs. Whisenhunt is likely going to be conservative to the point of staying with Locker longer than he would have if not for all the embarrassment with the Cards switching the QBs.

If they took everyones name off the jerseys and no one knew how the 3 QBs were acquired does anyone actually believe Locker would win an open QB battle? I don't.

One thing that Whisenhunt has shown is that he is not afraid to make a switch when necessary. 

Not necessarily directing this just at you, but I've seen it come up a lot lately. 

"The mistake I made when I look back now was changing guys out -- we went through too many -- and what results from switching them out a lot is you see things that are open, and the new guy misses the read or makes the wrong check."

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/4496/whisenhunt-seeks-gym-rat-quarterback

Obviously there is a breaking point and that's a question only he can answer. What does he have to see from Mett and/or Locker to result in him making a switch and going against one of his self-perceived mistakes in Arizona?

This could actually help save Locker and hurt Mettenberger. It's not that Whisenhunt has shown he's unafraid to make a switch, he's been downright crazy when it comes to switching his QBs. Whisenhunt is likely going to be conservative to the point of staying with Locker longer than he would have if not for all the embarrassment with the Cards switching the QBs.

If they took everyones name off the jerseys and no one knew how the 3 QBs were acquired does anyone actually believe Locker would win an open QB battle? I don't.

Edit: You beat me to it. He even said it himself.