How terrible would it be if Lewan winds up our starting RG this year?

Face

I'm only kidding, sort of. I've been a pretty big Warmack supporter & wasn't overly concerned with last year & was expecting the guy to have a big year this year. Having said that, I'm not enthused with what we've heard the last 3 days. Obviously it is only that, 3 days, and TC reports tend to just give you bits & pieces which can be misleading. But the only bits we've heard is that he was overweight, cramping, needs IV shots after every practice, and got bowled over by SLH. Yikes.

On the flip side there's Lewan, who looks every bit the stud & is in great shape for an OL. It's clear the coaches love what they see & want him on the field, they told you that by putting him in at G for Levitre. I posted before the draft he could backup both tackle & guard spots as a rookie & he very well may be the top backup at every spot & even get goal line TE duty. This is assuming he doesn't start at RT. But man would it be irony if after all the the talk of benching Oher or even trading Roos he winds up replacing last years 1st round guard.

I don't think this will happen, and I still have faith Warmack will put it together, but after what we saw last year & how Warmack has looked so far, I question if Lewan isn't a better option at RG right now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine how much further from his goal weight he'd have been if he had come in hydrated.

Let's give it another few days.

No guard is worth that high of a pick. No way consensus All-Pro is predictable for linemen .  A total waste. Could have gone guard in round 2 or 3 and done just as well.

I'm 100% ok with drafting a G as high as they did last year... though I wanted Star... if he's a locked in perennial Pro Bowler. The consensus suggested that their pick would be just that and it was even better that he was truly excited to be working with Munch and Matthews. The reality has suggested he was miscast as a guaranteed-elite G. Hopefully that changes, but I kinda don't think it will. If it doesn't...just... blah.

My fear is he is that "fat kid" we all knew when we were kids. You know the type, he would hit bombs in little league & throw us around in football or just wrestling around, because he was just big. That keeps up for a bit but fades away until next thing you know it's HS & everybody has filled out, started working out, etc & now he's just a slow, soft fat kid who's really not that strong anymore.

Guys like SenDerrick Marks & Cory Redding (who told him he needs to hit the weights) were tossing him around like a rag doll at times. I think fans could have seen him struggle, but not physically moved so easily. I get that he's still young & these guys are grown men so it's not a worry yet but I hope he's not just a kid who was big in college but didn't have much else & now the other guys are stronger.

I remember last year Ross Tucker watched Warmack early in camp and preseason and stated that Warmack was not the elite guard people thought he was. His reasoning was top guards do not have the struggles he was having, even right away as a rookie.

I think people overlook how bad he was last year.

Also consider the RG faces all the top 3 techniques like Watt, Suh etc...... It's not where you want a fat slob who can't pass protect.

Looking back it should have been scary to take an OL off that Alabama OL, the sum is greater than the parts. Cyrus I believe nailed the flaws in Warmack's game and they have all came true. On top of those he appears to be lazy with the weight.

I remember last year Ross Tucker watched Warmack early in camp and preseason and stated that Warmack was not the elite guard people thought he was. His reasoning was top guards do not have the struggles he was having, even right away as a rookie.

Also consider the RG faces all the top 3 techniques like Watt, Suh etc...... It's not where you want a fat slob who can't pass protect.

Looking back it should have been scary to take an OL off that Alabama OL, the sum is greater than the parts. Cyrus I believe nailed the flaws in Warmack's game and they have all came true. On top of those he appears to be lazy with the weight.

Webster again.  Jake, Warmack.  I still think Warmack is going to be okay, not elite.  The point you made about Alabama, the sum is greater than the parts.  He's now going to be surrounded with better talent than last year.  Also, hopefully better coaching.  Who knows, maybe Saban stayed on his ass to keep him in line.  

Gil Brandt "Chance Warmack is the best player in this year's draft."  

Looking back if we were insistent on going OL maybe DJ Fluker would've been the way to go, the guy is bigger than Warmack & played OT. If it didn't work at tackle we could have moved him inside.

Hindsight thinking is lame but the guy has me worried. Do any other lineman need these IV shots? It's easy to say relax, it's only been 3 days, but it's pretty obvious the guy didn't have a professional offseason after a bad rookie year.

I just realized Sox beat me to the punch on Fluker above.

Edited by Face

Ross Tucker really knows his shit to, he's very good.

I don't think anybody would be ripping on the kid if he got his ass kicked by Watt, that's understandable. What isn't understandable is your once every decade guard getting absolutely manhandled by borderline starters fairly regularly.

Obviously if we go OL in that spot we should have taken Fluker. OTs have way more value and Fluker could have played either OG spot until OT was open.

I said at the time if they were going to go OL it should have been Fluker, He's RG his rookie year then kicks out and plays RT when Stewart retires.

Ross Tucker really knows his shit to, he's very good.

I don't think anybody would be ripping on the kid if he got his ass kicked by Watt, that's understandable. What isn't understandable is your once every decade guard getting absolutely manhandled by borderline starters fairly regularly.

What's worse is his lack of physical conditioning