Panthers sign Fernando Velasco & Im still pissed we cut him

Face

Steeler fans were raving on PFT how good a job he did for them filling in for Pouncey last year. I realize it's a moot point now & the guy did tear his Achilles last year but I still can't believe Munchak cut this guy for Rob Turner. Horrible move. Webster used up way too much money & resources on the interior OL last year but Munch choosing Turner over FV pretty much because Velasco sucked in one preseason game might take the cake as the most retarded move last year.

Velasco was a perfectly fine starting Center who should have actually been extended, and this was obvious in week 2 when the Steelers brought him in off the street & he looked great against the Bengals of all teams. Meanwhile Turner was quite possibly the worst starting OL in football. The first Texan game, the Chief game, and the Seattle game were all extremely close with the offense sucking, it's not a huge stretch to believe that this move may have cost the team a playoff spot. The Chief game especially when Turner got cuckolded on the goal line.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steeler fans were raving on PFT how good a job he did for them filling in for Pouncey last year. I realize it's a moot point now & the guy did tear his Achilles last year but I still can't believe

CJ: A hero misunderstood.

Yep. I get how bad the line was in 2012. I even said so, a lot. You'd still think that the only interior guy who wasn't terrible might have been nice to have around considering every single other guy who even has a snap at Guard or Center in 2012 had already been shipped out... especially because his alternative was surprisingly bad.

And you guys think CJ was done because CJ was bad?  LOL.  If you think Velasco was a "bad cut" just wait til you see CJ with a OL and staff ready to use him.  TN problem was always the OL and staff, not the RB.  

Yep. I get how bad the line was in 2012. I even said so, a lot. You'd still think that the only interior guy who wasn't terrible might have been nice to have around considering every single other guy who even has a snap at Guard or Center in 2012 had already been shipped out... especially because his alternative was surprisingly bad.

After the 2012 season a few sites had Velasco as a top 10 Center (Bleacher Report had him 7th), & he very well may have been. The reasoning for the cut was that he was more of a power, man blocking type & they were a zone blocking team, which may have made some sense if he wasn't actually good in the same scheme the year before & his replacement wasn't atrocious.

I always thought too big a deal was made of the zone vs man blocking schemes anyway, every team does both. Some run plays require man blocking, some zone.

As far as CJ I still think, while there's a few factors, that he was never the same after the '09 season. I get why the team went for the 2000 yards but it just wore him down, you could see that at the end of the season, he just never had the same pop. That's just my opinion though.

The team saved a lot of money by cutting Velasco, he was tendered at 2 mill I believe.

Yeah but we would have been much better off paying him the 2 mil & keeping him as the starting center. Turner was pathetic.

Yeah but we would have been much better off paying him the 2 mil & keeping him as the starting center. Turner was pathetic.

Oh absolutely, I'm just saying that was likely part of the reason

And you guys think CJ was done because CJ was bad? LOL. If you think Velasco was a "bad cut" just wait til you see CJ with a OL and staff ready to use him. TN problem was always the OL and

staff, not the RB.

"2500"

Stfu

Velasco was a perfectly fine starting Center who should have actually been extended, and this was obvious in week 2 when the Steelers brought him in off the street & he looked great against the Bengals of all teams.

If he was really that good, I'm sure they would have kept him. Their OL has sucked for years and Big Ben has been paying the price. I'm happy with Schwenke at center, he'll be just fine.