Oilers Best Wide Receiver of the Run and Shoot Era

Denali

Who was the Oilers Best Run and Shoot Wide Receiver?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the Oilers Best Wide Receiver of the Run and Shoot Era

• Drew Hill
    • Haywood Jeffires
    • Ernest Givins
    • Webster Slaughter
    • Curtis Duncan

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Coming into the game we decided what we would do is put our two best corners, Lewis and Ross, on their two best receivers, which we thought was Drew Hill and Ernest Givens in the slot," Cowher said b

During games, I would watch the routes developing and the timing between Moon and those WRs were awesome. When they were on, beautiful offensive football. 1. Hill: Always appeared wide open on crossi

Drew Hill. Home run threat delux. The rest are possession types and some were prone to monsterous drops etc at crunch time.

I think it's close between Ernest Givins and Drew Hill. But, I give the slight edge to Hill.

Hill had over 1000 yards 5 out of 7 years with the Oilers and Givens had only one 1000 yard season, but had years with 933, 976, 979, 996 yards.

I just recall Hill making bigger plays down field.

Hill hands down

I wouldn't say that at all. Givins is still the team's all-time leading receiver and Hill only played 2 years in the Run N Shoot, just '90 and '91, before Slaughter replaced him in '92.

Hill had better career numbers because he played for 14 years, but with Houston he had 480 catches for 7477 yards and 47 TD's while Givins had 542 catches for 7935 yards and 46 TD's.

Drew Hill overall but maybe Jeffries if we are talking about a short time period.

If we're talking strictly between 1990 and 1994 (pre-Fisher) during the RNS era, then it has to be either Jeffires or Givins, mostly because Hill and Slaughter weren't there the whole time.

Here's the stats when Jack Pardee was the coach and they were using the Run N Shoot:

Haywood Jeffires: 384-4502-35

Ernest Givins: 305-4105-29

Curtis Duncan: 244-2783-9

Drew Hill: 164-2128-9

Webster Slaughter: 159-1902-10

Edited by Oiler FANatic

I just recall Hill making bigger plays down field.

That's true he did, but Givins was absolutely fearless making catches over the middle in traffic. When they needed the tough yards, Givins was just as good as a top receiving TE.

The problem is the outside guys and the slot guys play such different roles. Hard to compare them.... Also the run and shoot didn't last that long and some of the guys didn't play in it the entire time.

The Oilers really lacked playmakers outside during the run and shoot. As stated before, Duncan was flat out terrible and even Haywood Jeffires was totally overrated. He had 90 catches one season and barely cracked 900 yards, he was more of a possession guy and dropped way too many passes. The Oilers needed a speedster like Atlanta had in Michael Hayes when they ran the run and shoot.

I could go with Givins or Slaughter if you only say during the run and shoot era but there is no way in hell Jeffiries is close.

Slaughter and Jeffires could have played in any other system and been productive. The other guys were cut out to be run and shoot smurfs and wouldn't have been top 2 guys in a lot of other offences.

My favourite was Ernie though.