But what about our new 1st round qb that we stole in the 6th?

Pragidealist

I don't remember anyone saying that Whitehurst wouldn't be the backup. In fact, I explicitly said he would be. The only thing a lot of us said was that if Locker misses an extended period of time, Mettenberger would likely get playing time.

Hopefully Locker plays well and doesn't get injured and it becomes a non issue.

Whitehurst is more suited to come into a game and take over without a full week's prep given his knowledge of the offense and experience, and Mett's status as a rookie.

Edited by tgo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You spamming the board for attention, you fat fuck?

Obviously Whiz hasn't been here long enough to figure out how well Ruston Webster drafts. Cut him some slack, it took Belichick awhile to put Brady in.

Just stop posting... seriously...   I posted three different topics from three different articles about the Titans.. on.. wait for it .. wait for it. a Titans messageboard.    Just go way man.. yo

I'd guess it all depends on the time of the season and the injury-situation. If it's week 5 and Locker is out 2-3 games, I assume Whitehurst will get the job of steadying the ship until Locker is healthy. We'll still be in contention for a playoff spot.

If it's a season-ending injury or we're late in the season and out of playoff contention, I'd be very surprised if Mettenberger doesn't get the start at some point. I'm sure we'd suddenly get a flood of rumors and coach-speak about how his development has taken off and how he was only now ready, but we all know it would just be a way for the coaches to see what he has since the season is lost.

Of course Mett could end up starting late in the season if Locker is injured or stinking it up. Of course had the Titans not drafted a QB at all, like they almost didn't, you could make the same statement about Tyler Wilson assuming he makes the roster.   

It's more an indictment of the Titans QB situation than whether Mett is any good or not. Not to mention no one changes QBs like Whisenhunt.

Locker is unproven and injury prone and Whitehurt sucks. If Locker goes down early I'd expect Whitehurst to start and the longer the season goes and the further removed the playoffs the Titans are the better the odds Mettenberger plays.

This could be an interesting scenario:

The team is, say, 6-3 & Locker gets a 3-4 week injury. In his first start CW drops a 15/32 153 0-2 outing & now we're 6-4....does Wiz turn to Mett for 2-3 weeks?

This could be an interesting scenario:

The team is, say, 6-3 & Locker gets a 3-4 week injury. In his first start CW drops a 15/32 153 0-2 outing & now we're 6-4....does Wiz turn to Mett for 2-3 weeks?

Easy. No chance in hell. Only way Mettenberger gets a start is if the Titans are out of the playoff race or both Locker and Whitehurst are injured at the same time.

Easy. No chance in hell. Only way Mettenberger gets a start is if the Titans are out of the playoff race or both Locker and Whitehurst are injured at the same time.

We haven't even been through TC. Not sure how you can be so absolute about it. If Whitehurst sucks in two straight games, even if we're still in the playoff race, and Mett looks solid in TC and preseason, how could you be so sure he wouldn't pull the trigger on the new guy?

Here's the actual quote from Wiz:

"Charlie is the No.2, that is why we signed Charlie to come in here, and he'll be that way going in,''

http://www.tennessean.com/story/insession/2014/06/19/titans-charlie-whitehurst-zach-mettenberger/10904301/

Perhaps it's nothing, but he did frame his statement with the caveat "going in".  It sounds like he is leaving open the possibility that the situation could be different "going out" of training camp, or later in the season for that matter.

I mean, he could have instead simply said that Whitehurst is our #2, period.

OS is correct with one game, but if CW shits the bed for 2-3 games that's another story.

It's highly unlikely Mett sees the field in meaningful situations this year. I'd be more apt to believe Mett would surpass Whitehurst if Whisenhunt hadn't brought Whitehurst here. 

It's highly unlikely Mett sees the field in meaningful situations this year. I'd be more apt to believe Mett would surpass Whitehurst if Whisenhunt hadn't brought Whitehurst here.

Yeah you're right, CW would have to play terribly for multiple games.

I said for months now that there is no way Wiz has Locker and a 6th round rookie as his dressed QB's on game day.  

This should have been obvious to everyone but life doesn't always work like it should.

I am pretty sure if Locker goes down the Titans will sign a waiver wire veteran and he would probably be the dressed back up to CW if Locker goes down. 

Mettenberger is a factor if it's late in the season, the titans are out if the playoffs and Locker is hurt/playing bad

Or if he had an amazing training camp and Locker is terrible