Does Whisenhunt want his "own" QB? (Tennessean)

JLocker10

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/04/24/tennessee-titans-nfl-draft-ken-whisenhunt-jake-locker/8124319/

"Whisenhunt said the minicamp could play a big role in determining needs at several offensive and defensive positions for the draft.

Asked if the Titans would take a quarterback with one of their six picks, he said: "I don't know that I would say that. There's a lot of good football players in this draft. How the board stacks up and where we are with our team, you just don't know."

This much is certain: the Titans are checking out quarterback prospects, and they are clearly intrigued with Fresno State's Derek Carr.

They spent time with him at the Senior Bowl in January, the NFL combine in February and at Saint Thomas Sports Park earlier this month. They also sent offensive coordinator Jason Michael and quarterbacks coach John McNulty to California recently to see Carr."

Edited by JLocker10

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats like getting a job without an job interview and its a very important job at that.

Oh, so you aren't a fan of Teddy? I had no idea...   I agree it doesn't carry the same weight. But it is defined as an "interview" by all reports.    Marcus Smith was there too. Also brought in

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling Carr's gonna be our #11 pick. I like him a hell of a lot more than Bortles or Manziel, but I still think it's going to be a reach just like Jake when we could've waited t

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/04/24/tennessee-titans-nfl-draft-ken-whisenhunt-jake-locker/8124319/

"Whisenhunt said the minicamp could play a big role in determining needs at several offensive and defensive positions for the draft.

Asked if the Titans would take a quarterback with one of their six picks, he said: "I don't know that I would say that. There's a lot of good football players in this draft. How the board stacks up and where we are with our team, you just don't know."

This much is certain: the Titans are checking out quarterback prospects, and they are clearly intrigued with Fresno State's Derek Carr.

They spent time with him at the Senior Bowl in January, the NFL combine in February and at Saint Thomas Sports Park earlier this month. They also sent offensive coordinator Jason Michael and quarterbacks coach John McNulty to California recently to see Carr."

Wow thats extensive..... And is it bad i totally forgot who our OC was? LoL Edited by headhunter

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling Carr's gonna be our #11 pick. I like him a hell of a lot more than Bortles or Manziel, but I still think it's going to be a reach just like Jake when we could've waited till the second round and get someone like Mettenberger or Garoppolo who could very well be better NFL QB's than Carr. Man two fucking weeks is too long I wish the draft was already here. 

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling Carr's gonna be our #11 pick. I like him a hell of a lot more than Bortles or Manziel, but I still think it's going to be a reach just like Jake when we could've waited till the second round and get someone like Mettenberger or Garoppolo who could very well be better NFL QB's than Carr. Man two fucking weeks is too long I wish the draft was already here. 

Starting to get that feeling is well. If he's there at 11 it wouldn't shock me. I'd probably be expecting to hear his name. It's pretty telling that they've met with him that much, far more than any of the other QB or other prospects (as far as we know)

If he's not there, then I can see them trying to trade down and then take the best defensive player

When we drafted Locker, we had met extensively with him as well. More than any of the other QB as far as I can remember. And we're doing it again with Carr. Could be very telling

Edited by JLocker10

I really think Carr will get taken in the top 10 and if the Titans want him they'll have to go in front of Minnesota.

Minnesota is doing what we're doing with Carr with Bridgewater, he's their guy I feel like. Now if Teddy gets taken before their pick they might settle for Bortles/Manziel/Carr, who they like the most out of those three only the Vikings FO knows. 

the only QB's the titans have seen or met with more than once are 4th round and later guys.... which would indicate that, yeah, he wants "his guy" but none are impressive enough to warrant a first round pick

I bet we get non QB BPA in the first (with a hopeful tradeback to get a 3rd rounder back), RB second... and QB in the 4th-5th depending on who is there. 

the only QB's the titans have seen or met with more than once are 4th round and later guys.... which would indicate that, yeah, he wants "his guy" but none are impressive enough to warrant a first round pick

I bet we get non QB BPA in the first (with a hopeful tradeback to get a 3rd rounder back), RB second... and QB in the 4th-5th depending on who is there.

Carr is a 2nd rounder at worst. If the Titans are targeting him and that appears likely, it's at 11.

Yes Whiz wants his own guy. I don't blame him, I would too.

If Carr is the pick, I'm ok with it. As long as we don't take a DB at 11.

Yeah I will be absolutely furious if they take Gilbert or some other DB.

I think the second round QB plan is the plan of the day for too many teams.  I remember when we got Samari Rolle.  That draft was full of CBs that would go 1st and 2nd round.  The Titans didn't take one of the premo guys with their first pick, later there was a run on CBs.  Samari was the little skinny one left, then next round they got Sidney.  They came out great that time, except Sidney got hurt.  This time, if they really want a QB they need to take one @11.

Edited by Number9