What Should Titans Do at QB In 2014?

MIKE75

Is there anything else that really matters until we find a franchise QB?

Nope, and that's why they got to try to trade for Teddy. I'm not sold on the others being potential franchise QB. And then you look at 2015. It's early and could change, but how do you feel about Teddy now relative to the likes of Jamies Winston, Marcus Mariota, and Brett Hundley that you could be drafting from next year

Edited by JLocker10

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop looking at every situation as isolated and trying to compare EVERY detail to TN. Neither you nor anyone can predict how circumstances will unfold.   I've given examples of: mid-round ro

If Bridgewater last anywhere near pick 11, I'll have lost complete faith in my ability to determine what a great college QB prospect looks like.  The fact that he's even being mentioned/mocked outside

I'll try to explain again. People keep asking me about it so I must be doing a poor job on the explanation. (EDIT: Yikes, that was longer than I intended, lol. Bear with me...)   If Locker can stay

It's gonna be interesting to say the least. I think almost the exact opposite. I think we definitely take one with one of our first 3 picks. 

I don't see how they could get enough reps to teach Locker and Fitz a new offense while trying to develop a rookie.

It's not just about that. It's about using the available resources wisely. Draft a QB in 2-3 and then next year when he's a complete unknown and you've got a top 10 pick (which we'll have if Locker doesn't play well), we're in the same position. Draft another QB? Bank on a 2nd or 3rd rounder when you could have a 1st round talent? Then you've wasted the 2nd or 3rd. Drafting one in the 1st is just silly imo unless you're completely done w/ Locker in which case you move on now and focus on that rookie instead.

Fans are just far too impatient.

Edited by reo

I don't see how they could get enough reps to teach Locker and Fitz a new offense while trying to develop a rookie.

It's not just about that. It's about using the available resources wisely. Draft a QB in 2-3 and then next year when he's a complete unknown and you've got a top 10 pick (which we'll have if Locker doesn't play well), we're in the same position. Draft another QB? Bank on a 2nd or 3rd rounder when you could have a 1st round talent? Then you've wasted the 2nd or 3rd. Drafting one in the 1st is just silly imo unless you're completely done w/ Locker in which case you move on now and focus on that rookie instead.

Fans are just far too impatient.

We just have drastically different views on this and I really can't see either of us changing our opinion. I think you've heard plenty of the arguments for the other side on this anyway. It's all good. For me, finding a franchise QB is always the top priority for a team who wants to win consistently and compete for championships. 

1. Jake Locker not being the answer is your assumption and not a confirmed fact. 

2. Thinking the organization agrees with you that there is no possibility Jake can be the guy and has already made that decision is your assumption and not a confirmed fact. 

3. I haven't heard any talk about long term plans or re building…it seems the org still has designs on winning and a rookie QB does;t help you do that so why reach on one if he;s not the BAP? 

4. When and if you decide the franchise QB is not on the roster it;s not written in stone you have to draft one in the first round. FA QB's get signed. QB's get traded. All options should be looked at at that time. 

5. Like I said if QB is the BAP so be it but I sure hope they don't reach on one. 

I wouldn't say fans are impatient.  I think fans have actually been patient.  Locker can't stay healthy or on the field.  I honestly don't see him panning out as the franchise QB.  Plus, it scares the living shit out of me they are trying to move forward with someone prone to injury.  He hasn't played many games since his career has started.  Even if he puts together a full season, what's to say he won't go down at the beginning of the next season?

Also, if you draft a QB high you can't let that guy be the 3rd stringer and not get reps and not dress. 

So you leave Wisenhunt with the choice of Locker or a raw rookie as ihis QB's. Whisenhunt will not accept this. He needs the vet he can fall back on. This guy's history shows he''s as fickle and demanding as they come with QB's and he's not going to leave himself with an injury prone QB with 16 starts under his belt and a rookie. 

Can't see it happening. They'll have to trade Jake and what market is there for that? 

1. Jake Locker not being the answer is your assumption and not a confirmed fact. 

2. Thinking the organization agrees with you that there is no possibility Jake can be the guy and has already made that decision is your assumption and not a confirmed fact. 

3. I haven't heard any talk about long term plans or re building…it seems the org still has designs on winning and a rookie QB does;t help you do that so why reach on one if he;s not the BAP? 

4. When and if you decide the franchise QB is not on the roster it;s not written in stone you have to draft one in the first round. FA QB's get signed. QB's get traded. All options should be looked at at that time. 

5. Like I said if QB is the BAP so be it but I sure hope they don't reach on one. 

I think we misunderstood each other somewhere...

1. I never said Jake wasn't the answer. 

2. I never said they think there's no possibility Jake can be the guy.

3. The organization has very specifically stated it's a "new day" and they want a "new culture." There's no way to possibly state if a "rookie QB" will/won't be able to help you win (now or in the future) for a variety of different reasons. 

4. I never said it's written you have to draft one in the first round. 

5. I never said to reach on one. 

All I asked you...isn't finding a franchise QB priority #1?

I wouldn't say fans are impatient.  I think fans have actually been patient.  Locker can't stay healthy or on the field.  I honestly don't see him panning out as the franchise QB.  Plus, it scares the living shit out of me they are trying to move forward with someone prone to injury.  He hasn't played many games since his career has started.  Even if he puts together a full season, what's to say he won't go down at the beginning of the next season?

And he'll be a FA assuming they don't pick up the option. Pretty hard to justify a long term extension on someone with these issues

And he'll be a FA assuming they don't pick up the option. Pretty hard to justify a long term extension on someone with these issues

He won't be a FA until next year. He's got 1 year left on his contract w/o the option.

I don't understand what you're saying then Jonboy.

I said you don't draft one unless he's the BAP and your retort directly to me was "is there anything more important than finding the franchise QB"..this would seem to clearly indicate that you disagreed we shouldn't draft a QB even if he isn't BAP and that Jake Locker wasn't the solution. 

In any case, I don't see any damn way Whisenhunt is leaving himself with Locker and a rookie as his dressed QB's and they're not going to put a first round draftee in street clothes.  Locker will have to be traded and I don't see them doing that given his upside and the fact that his trade value is very little right now. 

All I asked you...isn't finding a franchise QB priority #1?

Hell. Let's draft 7 QBs this year since it's priority #1!

You have to use your resources wisely. Drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd that won't get reps and won't playing time over Fitz and Locker is a wasted pick when if Locker doesn't pan out, you'll be picking high again next year and looking at QBs yet again. Pick something else this year. Use that resource elsewhere. If Locker doesn't pan out, draft a QB in the 1st next year. No reason to draft one this year.

:rolleyes:

Yes, hyperbole to show that there is a limit to what you do to find a QB even though it's "priority #1." You have to be smart about it.

So where will you stand next year if Locker busts, Fitz plays out the year and we're sitting w/ a top 5 pick and a complete unknown of a 2nd rounder on the roster that didn't play at all or get reps? Draft a QB?

Edited by reo

I think Reo has it right. Is it possible to find a gem in the middle rounds? Yes. However, the likelihood of that is not high. And whatever QB drafted in, say, round 4 will not give the Titans as a good a chance to win in 2014 as Locker or Fitzpatrick will. So, unless there's a true franchise guy at #11 that they think will hands down be better than Locker it's almost a no-brainer to see what happens with Locker under a real coaching staff.

I wouldn't even draft one of the guys considered to be franchise guys right now unless the staff is absolutely convinced that he will be better than Locker. Now is not the time to do it. Next year is if Locker has another shortened or bad season.

I think Reo has it right. Is it possible to find a gem in the middle rounds? Yes. However, the likelihood of that is not high. And whatever QB drafted in, say, round 4 will not give the Titans as a good a chance to win in 2014 as Locker or Fitzpatrick will. So, unless there's a true franchise guy at #11 that they think will hands down be better than Locker it's almost a no-brainer to see what happens with Locker under a real coaching staff.

I wouldn't even draft one of the guys considered to be franchise guys right now unless the staff is absolutely convinced that he will be better than Locker. Now is not the time to do it. Next year is if Locker has another shortened or bad season.

Looking at teams that have found QBs in the mid to late rounds, they traditionally have a solid starter when they do it as well.

Pats drafted Brady when they had Bledsoe

Falcons drafted Schaub when the had Vick.

Rams drafted Fitzpatrick when they had Bulger.

The list goes on. We're not in that position. There aren't reps to develop a mid-late round QB. Locker and Fitz need those reps and you don't draft one in the first as CTF laid out.

Edited by reo