Welcome to Titans Report - Message Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Should Titans Do at QB In 2014?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
381 replies to this topic

Advertising

Jonboy

Jonboy

Master of GIFs

• Two Tone Crew
  • 8,216 posts

1. Jake Locker not being the answer is your assumption and not a confirmed fact. 

2. Thinking the organization agrees with you that there is no possibility Jake can be the guy and has already made that decision is your assumption and not a confirmed fact. 

3. I haven't heard any talk about long term plans or re building…it seems the org still has designs on winning and a rookie QB does;t help you do that so why reach on one if he;s not the BAP? 

4. When and if you decide the franchise QB is not on the roster it;s not written in stone you have to draft one in the first round. FA QB's get signed. QB's get traded. All options should be looked at at that time. 

5. Like I said if QB is the BAP so be it but I sure hope they don't reach on one. 

I think we misunderstood each other somewhere...

1. I never said Jake wasn't the answer. 

2. I never said they think there's no possibility Jake can be the guy.

3. The organization has very specifically stated it's a "new day" and they want a "new culture." There's no way to possibly state if a "rookie QB" will/won't be able to help you win (now or in the future) for a variety of different reasons. 

4. I never said it's written you have to draft one in the first round. 

5. I never said to reach on one. 

All I asked you...isn't finding a franchise QB priority #1?

Twitter: @RetroRaconteur

Gaming Blog: retroraconteur.blogspot.com

JLocker10

JLocker10

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 11,374 posts

I wouldn't say fans are impatient.  I think fans have actually been patient.  Locker can't stay healthy or on the field.  I honestly don't see him panning out as the franchise QB.  Plus, it scares the living shit out of me they are trying to move forward with someone prone to injury.  He hasn't played many games since his career has started.  Even if he puts together a full season, what's to say he won't go down at the beginning of the next season?

And he'll be a FA assuming they don't pick up the option. Pretty hard to justify a long term extension on someone with these issues

I think Kaepernick is fools gold.

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

And he'll be a FA assuming they don't pick up the option. Pretty hard to justify a long term extension on someone with these issues

He won't be a FA until next year. He's got 1 year left on his contract w/o the option.

The person who reads too much and uses his brain too little will fall into lazy habits of thinking
-- Albert Einstein

Dogmatic teaching is limited teaching

-- Carl Paoli

CanadianTitansFan

CanadianTitansFan

Powerful and Attractive

• Contributor
  • 7,950 posts

I don't understand what you're saying then Jonboy.

I said you don't draft one unless he's the BAP and your retort directly to me was "is there anything more important than finding the franchise QB"..this would seem to clearly indicate that you disagreed we shouldn't draft a QB even if he isn't BAP and that Jake Locker wasn't the solution. 

In any case, I don't see any damn way Whisenhunt is leaving himself with Locker and a rookie as his dressed QB's and they're not going to put a first round draftee in street clothes.  Locker will have to be traded and I don't see them doing that given his upside and the fact that his trade value is very little right now. 

• reo likes this

Celebrity Moderator

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

All I asked you...isn't finding a franchise QB priority #1?

Hell. Let's draft 7 QBs this year since it's priority #1!

You have to use your resources wisely. Drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd that won't get reps and won't playing time over Fitz and Locker is a wasted pick when if Locker doesn't pan out, you'll be picking high again next year and looking at QBs yet again. Pick something else this year. Use that resource elsewhere. If Locker doesn't pan out, draft a QB in the 1st next year. No reason to draft one this year.

The person who reads too much and uses his brain too little will fall into lazy habits of thinking
-- Albert Einstein

-- Carl Paoli

Jonboy

Jonboy

Master of GIFs

• Two Tone Crew
  • 8,216 posts

Hell. Let's draft 7 QBs this year since it's priority #1!

:rolleyes:

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

:rolleyes:

Yes, hyperbole to show that there is a limit to what you do to find a QB even though it's "priority #1." You have to be smart about it.

So where will you stand next year if Locker busts, Fitz plays out the year and we're sitting w/ a top 5 pick and a complete unknown of a 2nd rounder on the roster that didn't play at all or get reps? Draft a QB?

Edited by reo, Jan 16 2014 - 11:36 AM.

-- Albert Einstein

-- Carl Paoli

Advertising

scine09

scine09

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 11,337 posts

I think Reo has it right. Is it possible to find a gem in the middle rounds? Yes. However, the likelihood of that is not high. And whatever QB drafted in, say, round 4 will not give the Titans as a good a chance to win in 2014 as Locker or Fitzpatrick will. So, unless there's a true franchise guy at #11 that they think will hands down be better than Locker it's almost a no-brainer to see what happens with Locker under a real coaching staff.

I wouldn't even draft one of the guys considered to be franchise guys right now unless the staff is absolutely convinced that he will be better than Locker. Now is not the time to do it. Next year is if Locker has another shortened or bad season.

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

I think Reo has it right. Is it possible to find a gem in the middle rounds? Yes. However, the likelihood of that is not high. And whatever QB drafted in, say, round 4 will not give the Titans as a good a chance to win in 2014 as Locker or Fitzpatrick will. So, unless there's a true franchise guy at #11 that they think will hands down be better than Locker it's almost a no-brainer to see what happens with Locker under a real coaching staff.

I wouldn't even draft one of the guys considered to be franchise guys right now unless the staff is absolutely convinced that he will be better than Locker. Now is not the time to do it. Next year is if Locker has another shortened or bad season.

Looking at teams that have found QBs in the mid to late rounds, they traditionally have a solid starter when they do it as well.

Pats drafted Brady when they had Bledsoe

Falcons drafted Schaub when the had Vick.

Rams drafted Fitzpatrick when they had Bulger.

The list goes on. We're not in that position. There aren't reps to develop a mid-late round QB. Locker and Fitz need those reps and you don't draft one in the first as CTF laid out.

Edited by reo, Jan 16 2014 - 11:41 AM.

-- Albert Einstein

-- Carl Paoli

Jonboy

Jonboy

Master of GIFs

• Two Tone Crew
  • 8,216 posts

Yes, hyperbole to show that there is a limit to what you do to find a QB even though it's "priority #1." You have to be smart about it.

So where will you stand next year if Locker busts, Fitz plays out the year and we're sitting w/ a top 5 pick and a complete unknown of a 2nd rounder on the roster that didn't play at all or get reps? Draft a QB?

If Locker busts then you turn it over to the 2nd rounder. Not Fitz. Fitz is a backup and a stopgap. Nothing more. 

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

If Locker busts then you turn it over to the 2nd rounder. Not Fitz. Fitz is a backup a stopgap. Nothing more. 

Where are the reps coming from to teach this 2nd rounder how to play? Or are you dropping Fitz in favor of a 2nd or 3rd round pick? You think Wiz is going to go into the season w/ a 2nd or 3rd rounder as his primary backup for an often injured QB?? Fitz is the backup for a reason. He's there to play if the starter goes down... if the starter goes down and you don't go to him then why is he there?

Edited by reo, Jan 16 2014 - 11:42 AM.

-- Albert Einstein

-- Carl Paoli

Jonboy

Jonboy

Master of GIFs

• Two Tone Crew
  • 8,216 posts

Where are the reps coming from to teach this 2nd rounder how to play? Or are you dropping Fitz in favor of a 2nd or 3rd round pick? You think Wiz is going to go into the season w/ a 2nd or 3rd rounder as his primary backup for an often injured QB??

Plenty of reps to go around in preseason. If you feel comfortable with him as your #2 then you roll with him as the backup and drop Fitz. If you don't, you keep Fitz and develop the 2nd rounder with his limited practice reps and running the scout team. This isn't some outlandish ridiculous concept as much as you're attempting to paint it as such. Heck, we did it with Rusty for years and he even ended up starting a game. Like I said before, we're never going to agree on this and that's ok. :)  You don't have to try and convince me. I completely understand your position and where you're coming from. I just disagree with it. 

We'll see what the Titans do. I think they draft a QB with one of their first three selections.

Cyrus

Cyrus

Stands to Reason

• Writer
  • 7,538 posts

Mettenberger may not last beyond the second round, but his injury may complicate matters. He's very reminiscent of Roesthlisberger and I think he would be a very good fit. The Titans have flexibility because of the presence of Locker on the roster. They need to use that flexibility by protecting themselves from excess risk. That means taking a quarterback at a point of value and not tying yourself to any particular prospect unless you're absolutely convinced he's a franchise guy. 

I like Bridgewater but have some reservations. They're not significant reservations, but he definitely fails to meet what you might want in terms of height, weight and hand size. He's a very good quarterback prospect nonetheless and I would definitely take him over Manziel, Bortles or Carr.

Would I want Bridgewater in the first over Mettenberger in the third round (assuming trade down) or Murray in the 4th? I'm not sure. Fales may last til the 5th round due to perceived arm limitations. I think once he gets some real coaching and is an NFL training program that he might turn into something.

Jamalisms

Jamalisms

Resident Wit

• Two Tone Crew
  • 17,044 posts

Looking at teams that have found QBs in the mid to late rounds, they traditionally have a solid starter when they do it as well.

Pats drafted Brady when they had Bledsoe
Falcons drafted Schaub when the had Vick.
Rams drafted Fitzpatrick when they had Bulger.

The list goes on. We're not in that position. There aren't reps to develop a mid-late round QB. Locker and Fitz need those reps and you don't draft one in the first as CTF laid out.

How are we defining "mid-round" QBs and why are your examples a decade old or more? Plenty of mid-round QBs drafted since then.
Perm Ignore List: Oldschool, ManningEnvy, WG53, CharrdWood, CanadianTitansFan, LegalTitan, Eighteen, Isntlifefunny

Do you have a lame personality and seek to antagonize for fun?
Do you offer nothing of value to the forums?
Are you an underemployed internet moron?

Immediate openings! Apply within.

Advertising

Righteous

Righteous

Pro

• Members
  • 137 posts

Is there anything else that really matters until we find a franchise QB?

Can I get a chest bump on this one!

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

How are we defining "mid-round" QBs and why are your examples a decade old or more? Plenty of mid-round QBs drafted since then.

mid round being 3rd to 5th probably. Those are the mid to late round guys that were drafted and successfully developed into franchise guys (added Fitz b/c he's on the roster). Generally mid to late round prospects are only developed into starting caliber if there is a solid starter on the roster who already knows the offense and system... someone who doesn't need all the reps to get ready.

I don't consider early 2nd rounders like Kaep to be in the same boat. They were drafted to be the future and to be developed. They got the reps.

-- Albert Einstein

-- Carl Paoli

Cyrus

Cyrus

Stands to Reason

• Writer
  • 7,538 posts

Reo and Co., you're not being flexible in your thinking. Why would a new head coach be tied to Fitzpatrick? Why couldn't an entirely new staff be open to competition? Why wouldn't a new coaching staff be open to drafting a mid-round quarterback that they may like or believes fits their scheme?

You've set some pre-determined limitations that don't really reflect the facts or trends.

Fitzpatrick being on this roster is not a given, even if it's likely. If they're not tied to Locker they're sure as heck not tied to Fitzpatrick.

reo

reo

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 13,826 posts

Plenty of reps to go around in preseason. If you feel comfortable with him as your #2 then you roll with him as the backup and drop Fitz. If you don't, you keep Fitz and develop the 2nd rounder with his limited practice reps and running the scout team. This isn't some outlandish ridiculous concept as much as you're attempting to paint it as such. Heck, we did it with Rusty for years and he even ended up starting a game. Like I said before, we're never going to agree on this and that's ok. :)  You don't have to try and convince me. I completely understand your position and where you're coming from. I just disagree with it. 

We'll see what the Titans do. I think they draft a QB with one of their first three selections.

There was talk about Locker not getting enough reps b/c he was competing w/ Hasselbeck and you think a later pick is going to get enough reps when Locker and Fitz have to learn a new offense? You're going to short change someone in that method. There aren't that many reps even in preseason.

-- Albert Einstein

-- Carl Paoli

CanadianTitansFan

CanadianTitansFan

Powerful and Attractive

• Contributor
  • 7,950 posts

It comes as little surprise that guys who haven;t been in  Locker;'s corner since the season even started are searching for arguments to draft one this year.

What I just don;t understand is why you can;t just say "I don;t believe in jake Locker. I want to move on. The sooner we draft a young  QB and it's confirmed to me the organization agrees with me and is at least somewhat committed to immediately having some level of future option the sooner I'll feel better"

There's nothing wrong with that and having an opinion. Don't pussyfoot around it and act like your''re pretending you haven't already totally given up on Jake. 

If we draft  young QB in the first round we should trade Jake. Period. You can;t dress Jake Locker and a rookie as your QB's on Sunday. Whisenhunt will not do this. 

• reo likes this

Celebrity Moderator

Jamalisms

Jamalisms

Resident Wit

• Two Tone Crew
  • 17,044 posts

There was talk about Locker not getting enough reps b/c he was competing w/ Hasselbeck and you think a later pick is going to get enough reps when Locker and Fitz have to learn a new offense? You're going to short change someone in that method. There aren't that many reps even in preseason.

I'll admit that's a contradiction... but in my mind the error is with the former belief. I'll go back and lok at some stuff relating to the mid-round idea. Wilson certainly wasn't behind an established guy.
Perm Ignore List: Oldschool, ManningEnvy, WG53, CharrdWood, CanadianTitansFan, LegalTitan, Eighteen, Isntlifefunny

Do you have a lame personality and seek to antagonize for fun?
Do you offer nothing of value to the forums?
Are you an underemployed internet moron?

Immediate openings! Apply within.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ABOUT TITANS REPORT

Titans Report is a fan operated website for the Tennessee Titans. The site includes a message board, blog, podcast, organized fantasy games,and a mobile site. The podcast has had on many prominent members of the media covering the Titans. Some names include John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, Paul Kuharsky of ESPN and 104.5 The Zone, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indy Star, Jonathan Hutton of the Titans Radio Network, Sal Capaccio of the Buffalo Bills Radio Network, Scott Wright of Draft Countdown, and others.

LATEST STORIES

OILERMAN BLOG: Free Agency

OILERMAN - Feb 28 2014 09:58 PM

Whisenhunt to Titans (Per Mort)

Cyrus - Jan 13 2014 05:32 PM

OILERMAN BLOG: WEEK 15

OILERMAN - Dec 19 2013 07:42 PM

The TitansReport website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes. Our website is no way connected or affiliated with the Tennessee Titans or any other related fan sites. It also claims no rights to the trademarks of NFL or its properties.