Welcome to Titans Report - Message Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

53 after 3

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Advertising

code

code

Invaluable contributor

• Moderators
  • 1,391 posts

QB: 2 ... Locker, Fitzgerald

(I think the team likes Rusty and I suspect he plays a good deal next week. They just don't need to use the roster spot on him this season when they have some very tough issues at other spots because of injuries or undistinguished play.

RB: 3 ... Johnson, Greene, Battle

Battle has earned the 3rd spot. If Greene were to go down Battle gives the Titans largely the same thing. Reynaud hasn't done anything to show that he deserves the return team spot, though he may get it simply by default.

FB: 1 ... Mooney

He missed one block that caused CJ to get tackled in the backfield, but he made a number of significant blocks and he can catch a bit and run a bit. Plus he is US Military, can't help but like him for that.  All of this probably won't matter given coaching staff's historic love for QJ, but I'm going with Mooney out of respect for the guy.

TE: 3 ... Walker, Stevens, Thompson

Love this group. Might be my favorite on the team. If Barden or Doyle have excelled on special teams I suspect one might make it as well. For now I'm at three to give a few more slots to the wide receivers and offensive line.

OL: 9 ... Stewart, Roos, Warmack, Levitre, Turner, Velasco, Schwenke, Otto, Stingily

Titans will be cutting players here that will make other teams, like Spencer and Baldinger. 

WR: 7 ... Britt, Wright, Washington, Williams, Hunter, Preston, Mariani

Mariani versus Reynaud. When healthy, Mariani is the better return man. I'm giving him the spot. Preston earned his way on to the roster. Losing Britt, Washington and Williams is a real possibility in the next offseason. Wright, Hunter and Preston will be the core of the receiver group if Titans don't franchise Britt and resign Williams after this season.

DL: 9 ... Morgan, Pitoutua, Casey, Johnson, Klug, Martin, Wimbley, Edwards, Hill

WImbley provided some nice pressure last night and was mixed in with the 1s in clear pass rush situations. I'm not sold on Pitoutua in any way, but Dawson isn't a world beater either. I brain farted on Hill. Thanks Nash. That costs Dawson a roster spot unless they get cute with Gooden and find away to stash him under the mysterious injury clause.

LB: 7 ... Ayers, McCarthy, Brown, Bailey, Shaw, Gooden. Fokou

Thought this group would be the strength of the defense. Now it looks like a giant question mark with all of the injries. Tig WIllard would be a great story, but I think he is a PS guy.

DB: 9 ... McCourty, Sensabaugh, Griffin, Pollard, Wilson, Verner, Campbell, Wreh-Wilson, Wooten

Went with some rookies over guys like Alfalava. Never noticed the play of Stafford or Martin. Really not sure what we have here, though as I have said before, I like the 3 Safety look in a 4-2-5 with WIlson and Pollard both able to play effectively in the box.

ST: 3 Bironas, Kern, Brinkley

Nash

Nash

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Can't see Hill not making it after the contract.. How did Lynch look- I never got to focus on him last pm, and my seats are not particularly good for watching the deep secondary..assuming Lynch makes the 53 as the FS and assuming Hill is a lock, then it comes down to Bailey vs Wooten vs dawson for the final spot on defense.. plus Wooten actually looked pretty solid returning punts..

code

code

Invaluable contributor

• Moderators
  • 1,391 posts

Yep, Nash, brain fart on Hill.

Wooten could cost Mariani and Reynauld a spot. Watching on my computer didn't get to see much secondary play short of the obvious stuff. 

Smith, Dawson, Reynaud, Mariani, Preston, Barden/Doyle ... all amongst the bubble boys.

Soxcat

Soxcat

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 8,166 posts

Maybe the best thing for Mariani would be to put him on the PUP list.  We keep the rights to him and can bring him back if we want in 6 weeks.  Worst case is he goes on IR and we bring him back next year.  

I like Mooney and it seems if we needed an H-back like guy to be like an extra 4th TE he could do it.  He is a superior pass catcher and runner to QJ and as good if not better blocker.  We can put one of the rookie TEs on the PS so they are ready if needed.  

Good list.

Pick Analysis: "Whether it's a medical issue or the diluted sample in Indianapolis, there's a reason why this guy with second-round talent is going in the sixth round. That's immaterial now. Jake Locker has been unsuccessful there. (New head coach) Ken Whisenhunt is inheriting him. He will have less patience with Locker if he struggles. Locker is on a one-year contract that might not be all 16 games. Mettenberger can make all the throws. He has a world of talent and has been in a pro system under Cam Cameron at LSU." -- Charley Casserly

Jonboy

Jonboy

Master of GIFs

• Two Tone Crew
  • 8,216 posts

Titans seem to love Quinn Johnson. That's one I'm having difficulty with. 

Twitter: @RetroRaconteur

Gaming Blog: retroraconteur.blogspot.com

CMJ

CMJ

Openly Straight and Proud

• Contributor
  • 17,865 posts
I like it Code.
I also have no idea what the fascination is with QJ.
Mooney baby

LosAngeleskings_146192382_620x350.jpg

Big T

Big T

Rookie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Thought this was Bulluck after 3 AM. 

I wonder if Mariani is just too injury prone- PUP?

Advertising

Justafan

Justafan

REGULAR GUY

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

1. Mariani is better but Reynaud has proven he can be capable and he's healthy.  I wanted Mariani to make the 53 but at this point I don't think there is any way they can do that.  I'm sure they will probably keep Mariani on the PUP if they can but they are keeping Reynaud as the return man.  

2. QJ is only sitting this game because of injury.  He's the starter.  

3. Barden and Doyle have both played above expectations.  I don't think you can sneak either one of them onto the practice squad with all the injuries around the league.  It's going to be very interesting to see what they decide to do with all of those TEs.

4. I've been down on Preston but i'm starting to come around.  He made a great catch in the back of the endzone.  Having said that, this is preseason and he's playing against backups.  Declaring him a starter is premature and even if he makes the 53 he will probably be inactive most game days.  Again, it will be interesting to see what they do with all of those WRs.

5. Dawson needs to make this roster.  He's a scrub but he's better than anything else out there and was actually one of our better DEs last year.  He does fine in rotation.  In fact this whole line looked pretty good when the middle was collapsing.  It's amazing how much better the whole defense looked when we had a DT in there who could wreak havoc.  DT, DE, and MLB should all be big concerns next offseason.

6. Pollard isn't as bad as some on here have made him out to be.  He makes tackles and he loves to hit hard.  There is value in that.  Having him come up and make plays allows Griffin to sit back in coverage.  He's been a much much better and more consistent player because of what Pollard has allowed him to do.

"I'm glad I'm not judgmental like all you smug, superficial idiots"

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something in your life".
- Winston Churchhill

WG53

WG53

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 12,281 posts
Battle is not similar to Greene. Greene gets yardage. Battle falls down at the los.
The Voice of Reason

WG53

WG53

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 12,281 posts
Iirc you cannot be put on the pup list after camp and preseason have started.

Edit: If they have taken the field to practice they cannot be placed on the PUP list.

Edited by WG53, Aug 25 2013 - 10:34 AM.

The Voice of Reason

Justafan

Justafan

REGULAR GUY

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Battle is not similar to Greene. Greene gets yardage. Battle falls down at the los.

I love the way battle looks for contact on every single play.  He's still a scrub though.  He's better than most 3rd stringers and he plays very physical is about the nicest way to put it.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something in your life".
- Winston Churchhill

Justafan

Justafan

REGULAR GUY

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Iirc you cannot be put on the pup list after camp and preseason have started.

Edit: If they have taken the field to practice they cannot be placed on the PUP list.

Totally forgot about that.  Mariani is a goner.  

- Winston Churchhill

Jas

Jas

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • 795 posts

B: 9 ... McCourty, Sensabaugh, Griffin, Pollard, Wilson, Verner, Campbell, Wreh-Wilson, Wooten

Went with some rookies over guys like Alfalava. Never noticed the play of Stafford or Martin. Really not sure what we have here, though as I have said before, I like the 3 Safety look in a 4-2-5 with WIlson and Pollard both able to play effectively in the box.

I can't see them going into the season with only 3 safeties.  Who is your backup FS?   Seems likely that they will keep Lynch or maybe Afalava (although he seems like more of a SS to me).  Wooten is probably a practice squad guy as he hasn't gotten a snap on defense the last two games.

Oiler FANatic

Oiler FANatic

Knowledgable giver of respect

• Members
  • 3,293 posts

I can't see them going into the season with only 3 safeties.  Who is your backup FS?   Seems likely that they will keep Lynch or maybe Afalava (although he seems like more of a SS to me).

Afalava is more of a SS, but I think he will be their #4 safety and they will keep 10 DB's. I'd drop Bailey to make room and also replace Mookie with Doyle.
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold,
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones.

"Oh, I just wanted to say good-bye and remind you that the good guys always win, even in the eighties." - Ace Hunter

Advertising

WG53

WG53

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 12,281 posts
Why Doyle?
The Voice of Reason

Oiler FANatic

Oiler FANatic

Knowledgable giver of respect

• Members
  • 3,293 posts

Why Doyle?

Why Mookie? They already have Casey, Hill, and Martin at DT plus Klug and Pitoitua can play either DE or DT. They will be using lots of 2-TE sets, so it just makes sense to keep 4 of them on the roster.

Edited by Oiler FANatic, Aug 25 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold,
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones.

"Oh, I just wanted to say good-bye and remind you that the good guys always win, even in the eighties." - Ace Hunter

IrishTitansFan

IrishTitansFan

Il Duce

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Why Mookie? They already have Casey, Hill, and Martin at DT plus Klug and Pitoitua can play either DE or DT. They will be using lots of 2-TE sets, so it just makes sense to keep 4 of them on the roster.

I'd take Barden over Doyle

“Our goal is the Super Bowl, and our mission is to kill,”- Bernard Pollard

“I’m mad at the fact they’ve decided to come here and play football in our stadium."- Bernard Pollard on the Chiefs

WG53

WG53

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 12,281 posts

I never said anything about keeping mookie.
The Voice of Reason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ABOUT TITANS REPORT

Titans Report is a fan operated website for the Tennessee Titans. The site includes a message board, blog, podcast, organized fantasy games,and a mobile site. The podcast has had on many prominent members of the media covering the Titans. Some names include John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, Paul Kuharsky of ESPN and 104.5 The Zone, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indy Star, Jonathan Hutton of the Titans Radio Network, Sal Capaccio of the Buffalo Bills Radio Network, Scott Wright of Draft Countdown, and others.

LATEST STORIES

OILERMAN BLOG: Free Agency

OILERMAN - Feb 28 2014 09:58 PM

Whisenhunt to Titans (Per Mort)

Cyrus - Jan 13 2014 05:32 PM

OILERMAN BLOG: WEEK 15

OILERMAN - Dec 19 2013 07:42 PM

The TitansReport website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes. Our website is no way connected or affiliated with the Tennessee Titans or any other related fan sites. It also claims no rights to the trademarks of NFL or its properties.