Analyzing Jake Locker's Make-or-Break Season with Tennessee Titans

JasonHall

Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker enters his third NFL season with high expectations. Can the former University of Washington standout prove he is a true franchise quarterback in a make-or-break season?

Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker embarks on the most important season of his career in 2013. The former University of Washington standout enters his third season since being selected eighth overall in the 2011 NFL Draft.

While Locker has yet to serve as the Titans' starting quarterback for a full season, Tennessee will carefully monitor whether to move forward with him as the franchise signal caller based on his play this season.

Thus far, Locker has recorded career totals of 2,718 passing yards, 14 passing touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a 78.4 passer rating. The pressure is now on Locker to succeed with an improved supporting cast. This will be a make-or-break season for the player the Titans selected to be their franchise quarterback.

However, based on the team's busy offseason, it is clear that they are invested in the quarterback—at least for the time being. The struggling Titans offensive line added free agent Andy Levitre and selected Alabama guard Chance Warmack with the 10th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Tennessee also invested their second round draft pick on Justin Hunter, an explosive wide receiver from the University of Tennessee. Hunter joins an ailing, but young, wide receiving corps that is in need of a deep-threat option.

The Titans also signed Delanie Walker to serve as their new starting tight end and acquired Shonn Greene to complement franchise running back Chris Johnson.

However, the Titans' biggest fault may be their defense. Tennessee ranked 31st in yards allowed last season. With the exception of signing former Ravens safety Bernard Pollard, the team made little effort to fix its struggling defense via free agency or early round draft picks.

Hypothetically, if the team struggles to win games while Locker continues to improve, will the Titans have the patience to further invest in their young quarterback? Is Locker truly the answer to lead the Titans franchise?

These are the questions that must be answered this season before the team makes a final judgement on Locker's future. Tennessee has invested heavily in Locker and should see signs of improvement this season.

Every single pass or scramble will be heavily analyzed by the Titans' front office, their fans and the local Nashville media. Locker will have the weight of the struggling franchise on his shoulders this season and must quickly silence the doubt.

In 2009, Locker was projected to be a No. 1 overall draft pick before opting to return to Washington for his senior season. After a disappointing ending to his collegiate career, Locker was unexpectedly chosen early in the first round.

If he can produce similar to his junior season at Washington, Titans fans will be fortunate to have a dual-threat quarterback capably manning the helm in Nashville.

However, if he continues to struggle in his development, the team will likely move on without him.

Photo courtesy Brian Hill Photography. Photo can be seen in original form on his website.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fourth defensive tackle doesn't mean fourth string. It would make him the 2nd string defensive tackle. There are two DTs in the first string and consequently, two DTs in the second string. 

Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker enters his third NFL season with high expectations. Can the former University of Washington standout prove he is a true franchise quarterback in a make-or-brea

It's gonna be St. Valentine's Day massacre on Jake Locker early. Our schedule would do that to a seasoned QB. Hopefully, the staff will be smart enough to make that quick cut. Problem is, they've already made some moves to insulate Locker--ahem--closed practice. So far, a lot of writers rave about his preseason growth. They're like a room full of washed up broke cougars. Any erection will do. I personally don't give a shit if he made some good throws and is the victim of dropped passes. True winners don't have that problem bc for SOME CRAZY REASON...the guys they throw to don't drop passes. True winners create champions. The talent mysteriously emerges around them...Manning, Brady, Montana, they all had unlikely heroes. Tony HOMO had TO. GO FIGURE!

It's gonna be St. Valentine's Day massacre on Jake Locker early. Our schedule would do that to a seasoned QB. Hopefully, the staff will be smart enough to make that quick cut. Problem is, they've already made some moves to insulate Locker--ahem--closed practice. So far, a lot of writers rave about his preseason growth. They're like a room full of washed up broke cougars. Any erection will do. I personally don't give a shit if he made some good throws and is the victim of dropped passes. True winners don't have that problem bc for SOME CRAZY REASON...the guys they throw to don't drop passes. True winners create champions. The talent mysteriously emerges around them...Manning, Brady, Montana, they all had unlikely heroes. Tony HOMO had TO. GO FIGURE!

Lmao

Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker enters his third NFL season with high expectations. Can the former University of Washington standout prove he is a true franchise quarterback in a make-or-break season?Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker embarks on the most important season of his career in 2013. The former University of Washington standout enters his third season since being selected eighth overall in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Just a little constructive criticism... after the first part the part in bold is just redundant.

The coaching staff and Webster are the ones on the hot seat.

By the coaching staff's own admission they made a mistake the first two years putting Locker in a system he didn't fit. Locker may or may not be the answer but the make or break season is on the staff

Dropped passes are part of the game. But those throws that Locker made the other night were perfect. I mean the one to Kenny Britt was as easy as it gets. Same with Doyle.

Washington's drop was a tough catch (granted it was a catch that an NFL receiver should make). It was still a perfect throw, though.

What was the 4th drop? I keep reading that he had 4 drops but can't remember the 4th.

An article filled with no analysis, that states the obvious and offers absolutely no new insight into the Locker situation.

@JasonHall it will be better to write an article here about just one aspect of Jake's game. Most of the guys here follow the team pretty closely and have seen/heard/wrote all the general stuff.

One guy you overlooked is Sammie Hill. They added him to the dl. He had a batted down pass in the second game and I have seen him get some good push on early passing downs. He doesn't get a lot of cred around here, but I think he's going to be a good improvement to the dl.

In my estimation... unless he completely wets the bed, Jake is likely to get another year no matter who the head coach is. Even if he completely wets the bed, he might still get another one. At that point they may bring in some competition but Jake is going to be the presumed starter.

Here's one other rhetorical thought - a lot of people say Locker hasn't started for a full year yet. I would say he has... he was the undisputed starter all of last year... he was just too injured to play all of the games. Maybe a 'full season as starter' vs 'served at the starter' caveat... but it always makes me want to start arguing when I hear people say it. And a lot of people do.

In my estimation... unless he completely wets the bed, Jake is likely to get another year no matter who the head coach is. Even if he completely wets the bed, he might still get another one. At that point they may bring in some competition but Jake is going to be the presumed starter.

Here's one other rhetorical thought - a lot of people say Locker hasn't started for a full year yet. I would say he has... he was the undisputed starter all of last year... he was just too injured to play all of the games. Maybe a 'full season as starter' vs 'served at the starter' caveat... but it always makes me want to start arguing when I hear people say it. And a lot of people do.

If he wets the bed, they will have to bring in somebody. The Titans are still openly trying to sell tickets. People like Jake for his character and work ethic. To get their love, he's going to have to earn it on the field. I like to short passing game he has shown so far. It's time to see him put the whole package together, now.

Hill hasn't exactly been on fire dominating anyone.  At least what I've seen so far Hill isn't worth his contract.  On the pass he batted down he was getting zero penetration. 

The main issue to be discussed, if we really want to analyze Locker is how the new OC will structure an offense around him so he can be successful.  The whole point of the article is flawed because what they are trying to do is not put the weight of a struggling franchise on his shoulders. 

And hypothetically, if the team struggles to win games while Locker continues to improve will the Titans have the patience to further invest in their young QB?  Damn right they will.  At the minimum they will give him his last season on his contract and not panic and use an early pick on a QB.  It is a no brainer if the QB is improving but the rest of the team is not getting it done you fix the rest of the team.  In that scenario you just have to hope Locker can continue to improve.

After all, anyone who thinks Locker is going to come out this season and carry the team on his shoulders like Brady or Manning is insane.  I just want to see Jake play within himself and have some command out there. 

I haven't watched Hill closely on every play, but saying he's not worth his contract is a little much. Britt dropped that easy catch, but it would be premature to say he was not worth his contract. Is Hill dominating every play? No. But he did get his hands up and bat down the pass. If it was JJ Swat, it would be a great play, even if he was not getting penetration.