Welcome to Titans Report - Message Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pre-Camp Roster Battle and 53-Man Roster

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Advertising

titanskick8851

titanskick8851

Pro

• Members
  • 435 posts

What are some of the position battles you guys believe we will see? Who makes your 53 man roster pre-training camp?

TRAINING CAMP BATTLES:

Center:
Francisco Velasco vs. Brian Schwenke vs. Rob Turner

Wide Receiver:

Kendall Wright vs. Justin Hunter vs. Nate Washington vs. Damien Williams 

Outside Cornerback:

Alterraun Verner vs. Tommie Campbell vs. Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Nickel Cornerback:

Alterraun Verner vs. Coty Sensabaugh

Middle Linebacker:

Colin McCarthy vs. Moise Fokou

Strong Safety:
Bernard Pollard vs. George Wilson

Fullback/4th TE:

Quinn Johnson vs. Colin Mooney vs. Jack Doyle

Swing Tackle:

Mike Otto vs. Byron Stingily vs. Barry Richardson

Kick Returner/Punt Returner:

Marc Mariani vs. Darius Reynaud

6th Wide Receiver:

Michael Preston vs. Marc Mariani vs. Kevin Walter vs. UDFA's

53 Man Roster - July 24

Offense - 24

QB: Locker, Fitzpatick (2)

RB: Johnson, Green, Parmele (3)

FB: None (0)

WR: Britt, Wright, Hunter, Washington, Williams, Preston (6)

TE: Walker, Stevens, Thompson, Doyle (4)

LT: Roos, Richardson (2)

LG: LeVitre (1)

OC: Schwenke, Velasco (2)

RG: Warmack, Turner (2)

RT: Stewart, Stingily (2)

Defense - 25

DE: Morgan, Wimbley, Pitoitua, Edwards, Klug (5)

DT: Casey, Hill, Martin, Johnson, Charles (5)

LB: Brown, McCarthy, Ayers, Fokou, Gooden, Shaw (6)

CB: McCoutry, Campbell, Wreh-Wilson, Verner, Sensabaugh (5)

S: Griffin, Pollard, Wilson, Stafford (4)

Special Teams - 4

K: Bironas (1)
P: Kern (1)

LS: Brinkley (1) 

KR/PR: Reynaud (1)

Practice Squad:

CB Khalid Wooten

RB/FB Colin Mooney

WR Diondre Borel

WR Rashad Ross

LB Johnathan Willard

FS Markelle Martin

OG Oscar Johnson

_________________ (From Cuts around NFL)

Edited by titanskick8851, Jul 24 2013 - 02:18 PM.

tgo

tgo

All-Pro

• Members
  • 2,258 posts

Personally, I don't think Stafford has much of a chance of making the team, esp. being strictly a strong safety, bet they bring in a vet FA for FS depth with Rojo being out a while longer. I'd love to see them find a way to keep Doyle if he continues to play well in TC and preseason, but I haven't been able to make the numbers work in my projection. They'll be keeping a traditional full back, and it will likely be Quinn Johnson imo. Also, with the way Munch was talking about Walter today and the way Shawn Jefferson has glowed about him, I think he sticks in spite of his current injury and missing most of training camp. I think they stick with Reynaud over Mariani, and hoping the Stingily steps up to the plate and beats out Barry Richardson for the back up RT spot. 

Pretty good breakdown of the battles, overall a decent roster projection. I personally feel like the most interesting battle will be Tommie Campbell vs. Verner as the starting RCB. I don't see rookie Wreh-Wilson winning the job unless he just comes out and plays lights out. 

Oiler FANatic

Oiler FANatic

Former Fan of the Titans

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

I don't see Parmele making the team, he's a long shot. Mooney makes a lot more sense as the #3 RB since he can also play FB if needed.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold,
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones.

"Oh, I just wanted to say good-bye and remind you that the good guys always win, even in the eighties." - Ace Hunter

oldschool

oldschool

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 14,139 posts
Parmalee has next to no shot with Battle on the roster now

tgo

tgo

All-Pro

• Members
  • 2,258 posts

I like Battle over Parlmele, but Parmele may offer more on special teams. Not sure if Battle is a good special teamer or not. 

Oiler FANatic

Oiler FANatic

Former Fan of the Titans

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Parmalee has next to no shot with Battle on the roster now

That's true, although I don't think Parmele had much of a shot even before that. I see the #3 RB spot going to either Mooney or Battle, and Battle isn't much of a FB despite his size so that may hurt his chances.

"Oh, I just wanted to say good-bye and remind you that the good guys always win, even in the eighties." - Ace Hunter

Soxcat

Soxcat

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 9,182 posts

Seems like Battle and Mooney would make sense as a fight for the 3rd RB spot since both can play FB.

Parmele might be close as a runner but from what I've seen can't block and don't know about Battle.

That 3rd guys is probably going to have to run the ball some, be a decent blocker both in the running game and passing game and play well on STs to make the roster.  So it probably comes down to the guy who can do all those things the best with as much or more emphasis on other things besides just being a pure runner. 

Pick Analysis: "Whether it's a medical issue or the diluted sample in Indianapolis, there's a reason why this guy with second-round talent is going in the sixth round. That's immaterial now. Jake Locker has been unsuccessful there. (New head coach) Ken Whisenhunt is inheriting him. He will have less patience with Locker if he struggles. Locker is on a one-year contract that might not be all 16 games. Mettenberger can make all the throws. He has a world of talent and has been in a pro system under Cam Cameron at LSU." -- Charley Casserly

Advertising

OILERMAN

OILERMAN

Indomitable Titansreport poster

• Moderators
  • 33,676 posts

The best camp battles are for the starting center spot, CB job opposite of JM, the nickel, how the WRs shake out and the MLB starter

Players I'm interested in are Locker obviously, Thompson, Lavar Edwards, Markelle Martin and Hunter

Deal with it

IowaOiler

IowaOiler

Bravo Victor

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

I'm primarily interested in the OL.  The entire season is predicated on them being dominate and Locker stepping up.

"Iowa was blessed with the richest soil and the highest scores on intelligence tests in the nation.  Hoover expressed his pride in the self-sufficiency of his Iowa ancestors.  They grew, raised, and made virtually everything they used, purchasing little.  Strong and independent, they were also kind, generous, and God-fearing."  From: The Life of Herbert Hoover, by Glen Jeansonne

Cornrow Wallace

Cornrow Wallace

Pro

• Members
  • 459 posts

Stingily/Richardson over Otto? I figured Otto was pretty much a lock.

Soxcat

Soxcat

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 9,182 posts

I agree. I think Otto is by far our best LT backup option so unless Stingly really shows he is up to being reliable as a LT there is no way Otto gets cut.  I'm not sure Richardson can play LT but might offer the best option ar RT. 

Pick Analysis: "Whether it's a medical issue or the diluted sample in Indianapolis, there's a reason why this guy with second-round talent is going in the sixth round. That's immaterial now. Jake Locker has been unsuccessful there. (New head coach) Ken Whisenhunt is inheriting him. He will have less patience with Locker if he struggles. Locker is on a one-year contract that might not be all 16 games. Mettenberger can make all the throws. He has a world of talent and has been in a pro system under Cam Cameron at LSU." -- Charley Casserly

Oiler FANatic

Oiler FANatic

Former Fan of the Titans

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

I think Otto is by far our best LT backup option so unless Stingly really shows he is up to being reliable as a LT there is no way Otto gets cut.  I'm not sure Richardson can play LT but might offer the best option ar RT.

Richardson is strictly a RT, so it will come down to Otto and Stingily at LT. And since Roos has been extremely durable throughout his career, I don't see them paying Otto $1.7M to back him up.

Eighteen

Eighteen

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • 669 posts
Otto isn't going anywhere.

Oiler FANatic

Oiler FANatic

Former Fan of the Titans

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Otto isn't going anywhere.

He could very well be. People here are seriously overvaluing him, sure he's played well for a 7th round pick but let's not forget he spent his entire rookie season on the practice squad.

His main role on the team has been coming in as a 2nd blocking TE, and since Stevens and Walker are both better in that capacity that really hurts Otto's chances of making the team.

Another thing that hurts him is his age, he just turned 30 this week, plus he's had a history of being injury-prone throughout his career. I won't be at all surprised if he ends up getting cut.

Advertising

Soxcat

Soxcat

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 9,182 posts

Oiler, this really has nothing to do with anything but how well Stingly can be trusted on the left side.  Just because Roos has been very reliable and Otto hasn't played over there much doesn't mean he isn't their best option and his contract is irrelevant.  They paid him to keep him around this long because he is a quality LT backup. This is a guy who was the best pass blocking LT in the Big Ten and hardly ever gave up a sack.   

IMO if Stingly has and does show enough development he can be a viable option maybe he gives us a better overall option than Otto.  But that is a big if.  You said yourself Richardson is a RT only.   They can't risk having Roos go down and not having a decent blind side tackle.  Now I'm not saying Otto is a stud or something but he may be the best option we have on the roster.  We can hope that Stingly proves to be an equal or better option. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ABOUT TITANS REPORT

Titans Report is a fan operated website for the Tennessee Titans. The site includes a message board, blog, podcast, organized fantasy games,and a mobile site. The podcast has had on many prominent members of the media covering the Titans. Some names include John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, Paul Kuharsky of ESPN and 104.5 The Zone, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indy Star, Jonathan Hutton of the Titans Radio Network, Sal Capaccio of the Buffalo Bills Radio Network, Scott Wright of Draft Countdown, and others.

LATEST STORIES

OILERMAN Blog week 6

OILERMAN - Oct 13 2014 03:27 PM

OILERMAN Blog week 5

OILERMAN - Oct 14 2014 09:05 AM

OILERMAN Blog week 4

OILERMAN - Sep 29 2014 08:48 PM

OILERMAN Blog week 3

OILERMAN - Sep 22 2014 05:53 AM

OILERMAN Blog week 2

OILERMAN - Sep 14 2014 06:45 PM

OILERMAN Blog week 1

OILERMAN - Sep 10 2014 07:47 PM

The TitansReport website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes. Our website is no way connected or affiliated with the Tennessee Titans or any other related fan sites. It also claims no rights to the trademarks of NFL or its properties.